Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help- Won't Lock Up

New Recruit
    Hey guys, I finally got my CETME running. I found out what the issue is after I received my parts kit and was able to compare to a couple of them. The locking lever (I believe this is what it's called) in the bolt carrier was jutting out! This was causing a lot of friction inside the receiver and making it (nearly) impossible to rack the bolt! I read in another forum that it may be caused by the use of an HK spring and to instead use an earlier CETME spring as the tension may not be as tight?? Just a guess but I'll try and fix this part later on since at the moment it's not being used. But I took 'er out and ran 4 mags through it w/o much issue! (1 light primer strike that I noticed the bolt hadn't completely seated). As for bolt gap, this replacement bolt/carrier gave me a reading of .012" (or .3048 mm) but my cocking tube gap is more like 1.1 mm! I don't have issues cocking the bolt though!!

Locking Lever.jpg
    Last edited by ryukikass; 05-12-2019 at 04:06 PM.

They can only jut out like that with the bolt head removed (like in your photos). The spring underneath is interchangeable with HK. Your new carrier is from a Model B rifle, I suppose that's all Apex has left available these days. Nothing wrong with them, they're just a little lighter weight and will add to felt recoil.

Beat me to it, Holes!! I got the email informing me of another comment on this thread, and when I looked at the pictures, I noticed that the bolt head wasn't installed, and I was gonna mention the same thing! I kinda doubt that the locking lever was the issue.

New Recruit
    Holescreeks/SgtHorvak, you guys are right, I put the bolt head back in and that locking lever was flush. Whatever may be the case, the bolt carrier group from another kit worked so I'm just using that. Thanks your help guys and the insight into all of this.

Holescreek, is it possible that the pin that you had discovered in one of your threads that goes transversely through the carrier arm and was not below the metal of the interior of the arm, or the inner liner in the carrier arm was negatively affecting function?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHorvak View Post
    Holescreek, is it possible that the pin that you had discovered in one of your threads that goes transversely through the carrier arm and was not below the metal of the interior of the arm, or the inner liner in the carrier arm was negatively affecting function?
    No, you can see the bottom of the retaining pin in both photos. I suspect it has something to do with the lighter weight carrier being easier to push forward by the recoil spring. I'm curious as to what the bolt gap changed to with the replacement carrier and bolt head.

You're no doubt right. I just remember reading a thread where you had trouble with that pin impeding the recoil assembly, and thought MAYBE?? I can't remember if it was in your "C308 The good, the bad" thread, or where, exactly.