Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog and Guns

I've had all kinds of dogs over the years, bird dogs, coon dogs, deer dogs, rabbit dogs, absolutely good for nothing dogs. Even had a Corgi when I was about 10, named Henry the Eighth and a cripple beagle named Buck. Have some fond memories of hunting rabbits on the farm after school with that pair. Henry was the jump dog and Buck was the trail dog. Those were the days......
    Now I have 7 rabbit beagles, one Jack Russell(see avatar) and a pair of Jack-a-Bea's. Oh, and I mustn't forget about the wife's little non-functional anti gun liberal Chihuahua that lives in the house and thinks he's king of the world.
    Last edited by Has Been; 06-05-2019 at 05:21 PM.

had my girl out last nite while the nephew was shooting a 10-22....

first shot startled her, but she didnt really pay much attention to the next 99.

she was about 10' away on a chair looking bored.

not so sure she would like High power stuff, but the 22lr will evidently be OK.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Well nothing has changed. Went to open a vault today and as soon as I started messing with the locks my little guy went under my desk and hide. Mind you no guns were in sight,
    but he knows what is in there (LOL). Little guy goes with me everywhere and cries if he can't, but if I have a long gun or pistol with me he won't come near me. Again, not sure
    why he is terrified as I can't remember ever doing anything to make him scared of guns. Only thing I can think is he is scared of the noise they make??

Well, back to getting a couple out. Been a while as we have been busy with the land my brother and I bought.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I think the noise is what gets them. FWIW my ACD goes and hides when she sees a gun but the chihuahua gets hyped. I think he learned that from our old lab (since gone) who was an excellent gun dog. Honestly that chihuahua is one of the best squirrel dogs I've ever owned.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Yea, I think those radar ears of his are pretty sensitive to noise. One brown eye and one blue eye he does not miss much (LOL)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Yea, I think those radar ears of his are pretty sensitive to noise. One brown eye and one blue eye he does not miss much (LOL)
    What is it with dogs wanting to hang out under furniture? Everyone we've ever had would always go flop under a desk, coffee table, workbench, etc...
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I'm not a dog expert but I can tell you when I worked at a range, guys would bring dogs in all the time to the skeet and trap fields to just expose them to the noise and chain them to the fence behind the firing line. When you have lots and lots people with guns and tons of gun fire, the dog will learn pretty quickly it's nothing to be scared of.

most every dog you see at Knob Creek or ranges around my house wears these: they are called mutt muffs.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/mu...CABEgIkbfD_BwE
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    most every dog you see at Knob Creek or ranges around my house wears these: they are called mutt muffs.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/mu...CABEgIkbfD_BwE
    Seems a good idea. Even if they are not gun shy the loud noises can not be any better for them than us. I guess would have to lay those pointee Corgi ears down to put them on (LOL).
    Still with him not wanting to be anywhere near a gun might not make any difference. I am rarely shooting a gun when I have it (or them) out and he is finding a place to hide (LOL).