Thread: Shortened c308 bolt

New Recruit Private

Shortened c308 bolt

Ok so I canít seem to find in here for this but I have a new c308 by CAI. Everything Seems to operate normally except for a few double feeds. The bolt gap measures.028. The bolt itself measures 1.818. Charging handle seems to have about .030 of play. Ejected brass showed no signs of headspace issues CAI seems to want me to send it in but Iím not sure I want to go to all that trouble. Iíd like to think I can just replace the bolt with two full sized one. thanks in advance

Veteran
    I would send it back to them to fix the problems. It is their responsibility to sell a correct, functioning rifle.

Edit: Brain fart moment, See post #6 below.
    Last edited by holescreek; 05-14-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qmech66 View Post
    Ok so I canít seem to find in here for this but I have a new c308 by CAI. Everything Seems to operate normally except for a few double feeds. The bolt gap measures.028. The bolt itself measures 1.818. Charging handle seems to have about .030 of play. Ejected brass showed no signs of headspace issues CAI seems to want me to send it in but Iím not sure I want to go to all that trouble. Iíd like to think I can just replace the bolt with two full sized one. thanks in advance
    1.818??!! Wow, that is a strange measurement, it would seem for a "short" bolt
    Last edited by SgtHorvak; 05-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Ground bolts typically measure 1.812" inches, if yours is truly ground it's the first one ever heard of at 1.818". Either way, even if you deduct the .005" from your gap measurement you're still over spec. That thing has to have a stout recoil

Personally, I'd make them fix it. New bolt heads that aren't worn out inside the roller window are few and far between. And certainly not cheap.

Since they are the manufacturer you can ship it directly to them (make them send you a call tag) and they can ship it directly back to you.
    This is my first 308 semi auto. The recoil doesnít seem bad at all to me and, the ejected cases arenít deformed nor are they ejected very far! About 8 feet away or so. Still Iíd like to at least start off with an in spec bolt gap so I can monitor it.

OK, I misinterpreted the numbers I was reading on my phone before work tonight. Your bolt head is ground, and then worn some more! In a dyslexic moment I flipped the numbers in my memory around, a ground bolt head measures 1.821". Yours measures 1.818" so it's .003" worse (shorter). 1.832"-1 818"=.014" difference (false gap), and subtracting that from your .028" gap gives you a real bolt gap of .014".

Personally, I'd like to have all the parts of my rifles in spec, but realistically speaking, there is nothing physically wrong with keeping it as is, as long as you always subtract .014" from your gap measurement. I have a couple of those ground bolt heads in my junk box that I can't bring myself to throw in the scrap bin.

CAI is building the C308 with bottom of the barrel parts kits and this one just happened to have a ground bolt head in it. Luckily for you, the rifle was probably built correctly before the bolt head was installed. You are safe to shoot the rifle as-is. Sorry for the confusion.

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    OK, I misinterpreted the numbers I was reading on my phone before work tonight. Your bolt head is ground, and then worn some more! In a dyslexic moment I flipped the numbers in my memory around, a ground bolt head measures 1.821". Yours measures 1.818" so it's .003" worse (shorter). 1.832"-1 818"=.014" difference (false gap), and subtracting that from your .028" gap gives you a real bolt gap of .014".

Personally, I'd like to have all the parts of my rifles in spec, but realistically speaking, there is nothing physically wrong with keeping it as is, as long as you always subtract .014" from your gap measurement. I have a couple of those ground bolt heads in my junk box that I can't bring myself to throw in the scrap bin.

CAI is building the C308 with bottom of the barrel parts kits and this one just happened to have a ground bolt head in it. Luckily for you, the rifle was probably built correctly before the bolt head was installed. You are safe to shoot the rifle as-is. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thanks!

Veteran
    Buy a parts kit (..or two) and try different bolts and or carrier combinations. That's what i had to do to get mine to work..