Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x51 Nato

Veteran

7.62x51 Nato

Hey everybody!

can i shoot 7.62 nato in my c308 sporter planning on buying some bulk. Got some steel cased 308 comming in the mail but found just found a good deal on some brass nato.

Ive done reasearch and it seems safe but have also seen differing information on pressure values some saying 308 and 7.62nato are safe but not the other way around and some that say vice versa.

Does anyone have any experience in shooting 7.62 in the 308 specifically in the c308? Is the performace hampered due to cartridge differences?

7.62 NATO is loaded to lower pressures. If a rifle is chambered for 308, you can safely run 7.62 NATO all day long. (As long as the ammo itself is safe). If a rifle is chambered for 7.62, I, personally, would think twice before running 308 in it.

Veteran
    The c308 is chambered in 308 so ill just get it as well. I am trying to make sure i have enough for my brake in period and some left over lol. Hopefully the steel case wont be bothersome to the break in period if but ill be able to switch between the 308 and nato if i want.

As long as the rifle doesn't have any built in glitches (bad bolt gap, worn out parts, weak springs, etc.) it will feed, fire, and spit out any type of case it's fed, I'm sure. The CETME/G3/Hk91 platform is renowned for its reliability. I have run steel cased Wolf 308 and brass cased 7.62 Malaysian surplus through my home built CETME, and it doesn't give a damn WHAT it's being fed. It just plain RUNS. The steel cased ammo should run just fine for you.

Senior Veteran
    I've had a CIA Black Widow since around 2008 and all I've ever run through it is steel cased Wolf, it has to have at least a thousand rounds through it by now but I've never kept track. There were a few guys on forums that looked at the wolf and and did some muzzle velocity/powder weight testing and came to the conclusion that it's loaded below the 7.62 NATO spec. Downside is if it has the poly sealant you'll need some extra effort getting the flutes clean.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitche06 View Post
    The c308 is chambered in 308 so ill just get it as well. I am trying to make sure i have enough for my brake in period and some left over lol. Hopefully the steel case wont be bothersome to the break in period if but ill be able to switch between the 308 and nato if i want.
    I'd still say avoid commercial 308 ammo in a roller locking rifle. Brass is thinner than milspec, so the rather violent extraction of a roller lock tends to rip the heads off commercial cases. That's the story anyway, never tried it myself. Get a broken case extractor and keep it in your range gear if you want to run 308. Then at least you're prepared if you run into problems.

I've shot some wolf ammo too, works fine. Never heard of problems with steel case ammo.

The differences between .308 and 7.62 nato have more to do with case construction and headspace specs than pressure differences. External case dimensions are the same. However 7.62 nato generally has thicker walls therefore reducing case capacity. Headspace specs for commercial 308 are 1.630" minimum and 1.6340" max. For 7.62 nato headspace runs 1.6355 minimum 1.6405 max. Max working pressures between the 2 differ very little, contrary to popular belief. What confuses people is the fact that the military and commercial ammunition manufacturers used totally different instrumentation to measure working pressures. One gives readings in copper units and the other in p.s.i.. If you were to test both types on the same equipment you'd find military and commercial produce pressures in the same range.
    So, as long as it will chamber it's considered perfectly safe to shoot 7.62 in a 308 chamber but 308 in ap 7.62 chamber all depends on headspace. The closer to the 1.6355" minimum it is the better off itll be. Catastrophic failure isn't likely but in a really deep chamber case head separation could be the result, especially with steel cas ammo. Steel tends not to be as stretchy as brass.
    FWIW, I've fired both in my c308 with no problems, but others experiences may differ. Also the U.S. military buys millions of commercial 308 match rounds for use in match/sniper rifles.
    Last edited by Has Been; 05-29-2019 at 03:20 PM.

I ran several mags of Barnaul Silver Bear through my PTR91 once - just to test some out, since I'd ended up with a case of it in a trade deal.

It was surprisingly accurate, although I did dumb luck into one of those JLD rifles with the White Oak barrel. Extraction proved no problem, either.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Veteran
    Just an update put about 800 rounds through my c308 300 brass 500 steel no issues all the brass was nato and all the steel was 308. Ran flawlessly. Pretty accurate at 75 meters but thays as deep as my current range goes.

Thanks for all the help

I really like the Malaysian 7.62x51 for plinking ammo, SGAmmo occasionally runs specials that makes it affordable. It's not reloadable though unless you like messing with berdan primers.

800 rounds of 308 is a lot of shoulder thumping!