Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I Think I Have a Colt Addiction

Earlier, we looked at Colt's first marketing brochure for the AR-15 dating from 1960. In that really neato multi-fold gem, we saw the rifle with a scope mounted:

In this post, we're going to take a quick look at one of those scopes:

Commonly known in collector circles as the "Delft 3x25", this was a generic 3 power scope made by the optics division of the Dutch manufacturer Artillerie Inrichtingen. The factory was in the City of Delft, hence the name. I say generic because this scope was not purpose built for the AR-15 but rather was designed to be used on whatever design the end user saw fit. Rather then go into a long history lesson about it that I might screw up anyways, I'll just direct you to a concise little article written by the good folks at Small Arms Review. If you want to learn some of the back story about the design and use of this scope, the following link will provide that information:
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3708

Let's get back to the scope at hand, serial number 338:

Front is to the left so we're looking at the left side of the unit. The knurled knob at the front adjusts the windage and the one at the back adjusts the range. The logo is a stylized "AI" for "Artillerie Inrichtingen". If that name sounds familiar to you is because they also built some of the first AR-10's back in the 1950's. We might look at one of those in an upcoming post if I get around to it. Notice that the scope is just a round tube with the specialized part being the mount it's bolted to. As I said, this was not a purpose built scope and it could be adapted to various rifles. The mount is marked both Colt and Armalite. I like that it also says "Patent Pending". The knurled knob at the bottom of the mount is for tightening down on the rifle's carry handle.

Right side view:

Not much to see here. One thing of note is the little hole drilled into the windage ring in front of the knurled adjustment ring. This is for mounting the adjustment wrench which we'll see in just a bit.

Bottom view:

Front is to the left. The little holes in the securing knob are engaged by little detents to keep it tight. Both detents can be seen at the three and nine o'clock positions.

Top view with front to the right:

The elevation adjustment is only good for 1 and 2 hundred meters. If you ask me, that's a little limited. In the picture, it's set to 100 meters.

Ocular lens:

That's not delamination or clouding you're looking at but simple smudges. I should have cleaned it before taking the picture. Sorry about that. You can be sure, it's all cleaned up now. That's some very nice knurling on the adjustment ring, don't you think?

Objective lens:

The glass is cleaner but there's a fair amount of duct in the crevices. Maybe this thing should see some range time instead of sitting around collecting dust! In the background and out of focus, we see the adjustment wrench.

Here's a better look at the adjustment wrench:

And here it is mounted on the elevation graduation ring:

The way this works is simple. First, you set the target out at either 100 or 200 meters. Next, you use the knurled windage and elevation tings to zero the scope. Once that's done, you hold each knurled ring fast with one hand while using the wrench in the other hand to move the graduated ring so that the "0" (windage) or 1/2 (elevation) lines up with the little arrow mark on the scope body. Presto zippo, you're done! Now, if the target is at 100 meters, you turn the elevation ring to "1". If it's at 200 meters, you turn it to "2". Beyond that.....well, I don't know what you do. If you ask me, this whole design is a little half baked. Regardless, now you've seen a real life example of the scope depicted in the 1960 marketing brochure. I hope you're happy because that's about all I have to say about it!

Oh! I forgot to show you the reticle. It's REALLY complicated and chocked full of technical information:

It doesn't get anymore bare bones than that! I guess it's better than nothing at all. Please ignore the reference books in the background. I don't need reference books because I'm omniscient. They are only there for show!!! If you believer that, you're a bigger moron than I am!

See you next time when we'll look at a Colt marked 3x scope. Until then, long live the Empire!! All hail Caesar!!!!
    Last edited by Combloc; 09-13-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Next up is a Colt 3x20 carry handle mount scope. The 3x version was later replaced by a 4x version that looked almost identical. To my knowledge, all 4x versions were manufactured by Hakko in Japan. It could be that all 3x units were made in the United States but I think that the vast majority of 3x units were made by Hakko and only early ones (as shown here) were made in the United States. However, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no expert so you might want to check me on that. I also think that some of the Hakko units came with lens covers and some did not but don't quote me on that one either. Again, I'm not much more than an imbecile. This one came with nothing other than an instruction manual. These were made for many years so expect variations in the box over the years too. Personally, I'd be afraid of what I was buying these days as there are MANY fake ones out there because values on these have risen significantly. I've been told these were excellent scopes in their day and if you want one for collection purposes, by all means, pay whatever you think is fair. But if you are buying one simply to use, don't spend stupid money to get one of these because, for the money these things bring in today's market, there are far more modern options out there.

We'll start with the box top:

It's a pleasant shade of red. I'm no expert on these things so I can't tell you when this one was made; only that it is an earlier one because it's a 3x.

The bottom is plain carboard:

Both long sides are identical:

I like this older understated packaging. I wish they still did things this way.

Both short sides are identical as well:

Box top removed showing the goodies hidden within:

Detail of scope packing:

Quite sophisticated isn't it?

Top view of scope:

Notice how "Colt" is inscribed and that it's marked "MADE IN USA". As I stated earlier....BE CAREFUL OF FAKES!!!! This one is 100% guaranteed original and that's exactly why I'm posting it; so that it can serve as a point of reference and research. The top knob is for adjusting elevation. In just a bit, we'll be looking at the instructions so I'm not going to bother explaining how it works. Spoiler alert......it adjust just as you would expect.

Right side:

Left side:

I like the "1 to2" marking on the elevation drum. It has style. I should have taken more comprehensive pictures of the adjustment knobs and their markings but I did not. zfor that, I apologize.

Rear view:

Front view:

This thing could use a good dusting but it doesn't matter really as it's never going to see use.

Ever so comprehensive reticle:

A simpler instrument for a simpler time. I prefer simple.

Page 1 of the instructions:

A detail of the illustration on page 1:

Pages 2 and 3:

And the back page:

That's it for this one. Sometimes short and sweet does the job.
    Last edited by Combloc; 09-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Sweet! I have always liked those but have never used one.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer