Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Election and Gun Control

Reading today that Dems have back off on pushing a gun ban for now, but are insisting on universal background checks. Word on street is White House was thinking more of
    app that would let individuals to access NCIS records themselves to see if individual they were selling to was on ban list. Nothing would change for the FFL dealers. Top Dems
    say that is a no go. Anyway, word is some time around Thursday White House will put out their proposals for new legislation.
    BTW the Dems realize even in the House, which they control, they don't have the votes to push a ban thru. Never mind the Senate where it would go no where. The Dems
    are still insisting on a mag ban on any that hold over 10 rds.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Reading today that Dems have back off on pushing a gun ban for now, but are insisting on universal background checks. Word on street is White House was thinking more of
    app that would let individuals to access NCIS records themselves to see if individual they were selling to was on ban list. Nothing would change for the FFL dealers. Top Dems
    say that is a no go. Anyway, word is some time around Thursday White House will put out their proposals for new legislation.
    BTW the Dems realize even in the House, which they control, they don't have the votes to push a ban thru. Never mind the Senate where it would go no where. The Dems
    are still insisting on a mag ban on any that hold over 10 rds.
    At this point I think the individual sales nics access ability (with some safeguards for the love of Dick Cheney) would probably be palatable if it wasn't under the guise of "universal background checks". They aren't going to get any legislation passed, Beto has seen to that. He managed to energize the pro-rights base with that one horrible sentence and forever kill the argument anti's use that"nobody wants ot take your guns away".
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    At this point I think the individual sales nics access ability (with some safeguards for the love of Dick Cheney) would probably be palatable if it wasn't under the guise of "universal background checks". They aren't going to get any legislation passed, Beto has seen to that. He managed to energize the pro-rights base with that one horrible sentence and forever kill the argument anti's use that"nobody wants ot take your guns away".
    Agree, as one Dem Senator said - his (Beto's) take your guns away comments have not helped and will be played at 2nd Amendment rallies for years to come. I also think individual sale access to NIS
    would likely be OK with most gun owners vs universal background checks and being forced to go thru a FFL on private sales. Beto's "bomb" and my belief that many Dems do not really care if they get any
    gun legislation agreement - wanting this to be a 2020 campaign issue - means it is highly unlikely anything meaningful will happen at this time.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I'm for the politician who campaigns for more democrap control.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    If they can do private party checks through an app, I think it will be accepted.

I remember when the background checks first started and they had instant approval up and running very quickly. It was accepted as a result because there was zero inconvenience and the vast majority of buyers are clean and they know it. The left at the time had a fevered dream of long delays in the process while the buyer submitted forms and politely and meekly asked permission of the faceless bureaucracy to exercise their rights. They have the same fevered dream today, thinking that actual support for actual common sense checks will somehow translate into acceptance of the dream.

Robert Francis tipped their hand, and I think now they will be lucky to get as much as instant checks through a phone app, pointless though it would be. That is something that would go down just fine with the bulk of gun owners, who as a group are more law abiding than law enforcement as a group, and yet it would be completely ignored by the real versions of Sparticus's made up buddy T-Bone on the street corners. Those guys will still be trading stolen and straw purchased guns and using them for murder and intimidation.

I'm more worried about states taking action as a result of the national rhetoric. They don't have the votes @ the federal level.

if you don't see the possible quagmire of a citizen NICS....well....think...."so sir. I see you name is "Smith, John Q", we wont be able to sell you a gun today". please leave my garage....

and then there is mis-use....

its probably going to require you to list the sale on a Government "registration" site too. I can see that happening.....NOT !!
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

at least there's one dem who doesn't stand much of a chance to get elected.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...eth?li=BBnb7Kz

Senior Veteran
    I still think Trump will handily retain his Presidency in the upcoming election. Unless something catastrophic happens. The Dems do not have even close to a worthy contender.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    The Dems do not have even close to a worthy contender.
    I'm hoping for a brokered convention, with Chuck Schumer being the compromise nominee.

Not that the others COULDN'T, but he's certainly capable of losing at least 40 states!
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -