Thread: C308 cocking tube replacement

C308 cocking tube replacement

Is it possible to replace the cocking tube without having to repress the barrel?
    Century or whoever built these dropped the ball on salvaging the CT. They just sawed it off flush with the end of the reciever and butt welded it to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Has Been View Post
    Is it possible to replace the cocking tube without having to repress the barrel?
    Century or whoever built these dropped the ball on salvaging the CT. They just sawed it off flush with the end of the reciever and butt welded it to the new one.
    There's no sign of the inner sleeve? You can see the seam on the ID through the locking slot? That's very unusual from CAI and more so from PTR. I've seen some home-build hack jobs put together like that though so anything is possible.

If the sleeve isn't there you have the best condition for changing out the tube since there will be no plug welds where the sleeve meets the receiver and the receiver ID will still be large enough to accept the sleeve on the new tube. You still will need to remove the front triple, cut the old tube off flush with the front of the receiver and drill some holes to plug weld through to the new sleeve. I have a tutorial on setting the cocking tube gap too.

Nope, no inner sleeve at all. I can see the top of the trunnion through the handle slot or from the rear.
    I became aware of this a few months after I bought the rifle NIB from Academy Sports but did nothing about it since it didnt cause any malfunctions and to be honest I didnt know there was supposed to be an inner sleeve until I happened across your tutorial a couple weeks ago. The triple needs pressing on a bit further so a cetme handguard will fit right so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.
    Any ideas where I might find a good useable full length CT without having to buy a complete parts kit that i dont need?
    Last edited by Has Been; 07-16-2019 at 11:47 AM.

The few times I've seen C-tubes come available was after a WTB thread was posted and other members had parts available to save the day. Sometimes people buy kits just for the spare internals and don't intend to build a rifle with the rest of the parts.

Roger that. Headed that way now.