Thread: Hoppe's Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner WOW!

Senior Veteran

Hoppe's Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner WOW!

Bought a can of this stuff a couple of months ago but just got around to trying it this morning. Used it on my very dirty P38 bore. I don't think it has been cleaned since the war, if ever. Lol Dirty, debris, frosty and other in there. Looked like it had almost no lands in it because the grooves were full of gunk.

Pumped some of the foam cleaner in both ends and let sit for 10 minutes. Pumped some more in and aggressively bore brushed it. Boy did a lot of crap come out of there. Green, brown, and chunks. Rinsed it out with some non-chlorinated carb cleaner. Then ran a couple of patches through it and bam, a MUCH cleaner bore! You can actually see lands and grooves now.

I am amazed at how well this stuff works! All with only one cleaning. I'm going to run through the process again to see if I can get any more stuff out of it.

2 thumbs up for Hoppe's Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner

Foam1.jpg

Before
    Foam2.jpg

Foam5.jpg

After
    Foam3.jpg

Foam4.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 07-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I'm not surprised. It took Gunslick's foam cleaner to do that in my Enfield sewer pipe bore.

Senior Veteran
    I've used the Hoppe's and man does it make a difference. Just don't get it on anything else!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    I'm not surprised. It took Gunslick's foam cleaner to do that in my Enfield sewer pipe bore.
    I was pretty shocked at how well it works. I'm going to run through the whole process again. You can see in the last pic there is still some crap left in the groves. I love this stuff, I'm going to try it in my Mosin next.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    I've used the Hoppe's and man does it make a difference. Just don't get it on anything else!
    It definitely makes a difference! Is it corrosive to other things like bluing or something?

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I was pretty shocked at how well it works. I'm going to run through the whole process again. You can see in the last pic there is still some crap left in the groves. I love this stuff, I'm going to try it in my Mosin next.
    It definitely makes a difference! Is it corrosive to other things like bluing or something?
    It's been reported to actually remove the finish from firearms. A google search will throw a few instances up within the first few results. I know I screwed up the first time I used it, all I did was run a dry patch afterwards and a couple of days later when I looked at the pistol I was using it had a light coat of rust in the bore. Shame on me, lesson learned. I won't use it on my pistols (the HF ultrasonic cleaner and dollar store citrus cleaner works just fine after an initial flush with the NC brake cleaner).

Another thing that might interest you is the electric bore cleaners, you can make then at home pretty cheaply out of scraps.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

^^^^^ YEP

as Arkane said... just be careful what you get it on cause its pretty harsh stuff on a lot of finishes.

another good trick to go with that if you got dirty grooves is to go to the store & get a "Brasso" pad. cut some of it off & shove that thru your bore with a wood dowel... that stuff literally cuts the lead & gunk right out of a barrel. ive done several leaded up Tommy barrels that way.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    It's been reported to actually remove the finish from firearms. A google search will throw a few instances up within the first few results. I know I screwed up the first time I used it, all I did was run a dry patch afterwards and a couple of days later when I looked at the pistol I was using it had a light coat of rust in the bore. Shame on me, lesson learned. I won't use it on my pistols (the HF ultrasonic cleaner and dollar store citrus cleaner works just fine after an initial flush with the NC brake cleaner).

Another thing that might interest you is the electric bore cleaners, you can make then at home pretty cheaply out of scraps.
    I will watch out for that, thanks. I oiled mine up real good after I was done cleaning it.

That electric bore cleaner looks interesting. Might make me one and mess around with it.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    ^^^^^ YEP

as Arkane said... just be careful what you get it on cause its pretty harsh stuff on a lot of finishes.

another good trick to go with that if you got dirty grooves is to go to the store & get a "Brasso" pad. cut some of it off & shove that thru your bore with a wood dowel... that stuff literally cuts the lead & gunk right out of a barrel. ive done several leaded up Tommy barrels that way.
    Thanks, I will be careful with it.

I have recently read about doing it that way for really bad barrels.