Thread: Unresearched MG 15 question.....

Unresearched MG 15 question.....

Digging for MG 81 stuff here, found a circular AA site bent & missing the cross wire, looks like MG 15,.........when I posted about someone to rebuild this, I am informed that the ground use MG 15 had ground use sites........I have seen many illustrations/picts. of MG 15 in various uses, but never have seen anything but the "normal" AA site on the guns....????

Any one know of specific ground use sites.???

PJH

Veteran
    Yes, I've seen a couple types of ground use sights. One type was fixed front and rear and consisted of a split post rear and a post front fitted into the locations on the jacket for the regular AA sights. The split rear was basically just a square post about 3/16" wide, split in the middle from the top to about 1/4 " down and then spread apart to form a "y". The sights were both about 1.5" high.
    The second type used a post front and the rear was adjustable with the split "y" like the fixed sight but attached to a drum type sight that allowed movement up and down for ranges from about 200-800 m. I believe there were other types made up by armorers when the guns were relegated to ground use by the Luftwaffe.

Sorry I don't have pics but some of the books out there do. You might try Daniel Musgraves book on German Machineguns and I'm not sure where else to point you. As you and I both know there isn't a lot of info on the aircraft guns.

Frank

I have saved a LOT of pictures of the MG-15, many of them showing it in use in ground combat.
    Most of the time the AA ring is on the front and a post is the rear sight.
    Sometimes the positions are reversed.
    I also have images of the AA ring on the front and an adjustable rear sight is fitted (has a drum for adjusting elevation)
    The MG-81 manual shows one of those guns with a post front sight and a rear sight leaf fitted into the top cover.
    It also has an unusual adapter for the bipod.

Here are some images:

MG 81 Bild 1.jpg

MG15_Ground.jpg

tumblr_n927mlDyHZ1tshtppo1_1280.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-299-1808-08A,_Nordfrankreich,_Schranke,_Soldat_mit_MG_15.jpg

Richard
    APEX Gun Parts ORDERS 719-481-2050
    http://www.apexgunparts.com

Senior Veteran
    I like that 3rd photo, looks like that MG is being used like a sub gun, any info on that photo???

Richard,

thats some great pix. im sure PJ will appreciate your efforts!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Gents...... I have been contacted by a fellow who said "....gottcha covered......"...... So apparently I have a correct ground sight coming. I would still like to get the ring site straightened & rethreaded (???)......???

RE....third photo.......what hearing.????!!!!!

PJH

mentioning hearing....

i hollered at ya Sunday at the picnic. ha ha.. You didnt hear me. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.