Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just don't call it a shotgun

Just don't call it a shotgun

It started innocent enough. Last night I finish eating dinner at a diner and decide to visit a friend who lives near by afterwards. After we get talking he shows me something I didn't think could even exist (legally). A Charles Daly Honcho, with a 14" smoothe bore chambered in .410. They have them in 12ga, 20ga, and .410. Apparently because these are not made from the factory with a shoulder-able stock they can shorten the barrel and not call it a shotgun but rather a "firearm".

I'm not good with the legal mumbo jumbo, but all I know is, instantly after handling my buddie's I would be unable to live another day in my life without one, and in the process visited a new gun store I hadn't been to before today. This one is 20 ga, and holds 5 in the tube. It also has a rail built in the forearm to mount a light, so a Streamlight 69260 is on it's way.

honcho.jpg

Cheaper then Dirt has them listed for $235 now.

Senior Veteran
    Nice little package.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Wow! I ordered the streamlight @ 14:20 from Amazon and it got at my door stop @ 18:30 same day!

See, it's NOT a shotgun. It's really just a 20 ga flashlight!

Edit: (The paddle on the flashlight falls in the perfect position to be operated in momentary or on/off with your index finger)

IMG_20190831_185710_01_01.jpg
    Last edited by moya034; 08-31-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Another caveat I forgot to mention:

The .410 is unique vs the 12 and 20. The .410 has a "spring assist" on the forearm, where after the weapon is fired, you pull the forearm back like a traditional pump action, HOWEVER when you go to close it, there is a spring that helps you push it shut. It is neat. The caveat however, is if you do some googling and reading on this weapon, you'll find you have to still make a very positive forward motion to lock the slide, as some people have reported misfires due to failure to fully lock the battery.

The 12 and 20 gauges work just like a traditional pump, and therefore also cost less then the .410 spring assisted model.

Also of note, this firearm is an import made in Turkey. The fit and finish is actually very impressive considering that and the price point. Remington and Mossberg do have competing models that take advantage of the same legal loop hole for the short barrel*. I'm usually a gung-ho made in America guy, but I have to admit, I really do like this piece.

*Intresting to note, as far as I can tell, Charles Daly was the first to find this loop hole, Remington and Mossberg had to play catch-up.
    Last edited by moya034; 08-31-2019 at 08:16 PM.

I've seen those around for a while now - I just can't fathom a DECENT 12 gauge round in one those, that wouldn't cause the recoiling barrel to break my nose...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Here is a size comparison against my Mossberg 590. BTW, the 590 is a future "project", stay tuned for a new thread on it...

IMG_20190831_222449293.jpg

Edit: I literally can't stop giggling like a school girl.
    Last edited by moya034; 08-31-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    I've seen those around for a while now - I just can't fathom a DECENT 12 gauge round in one those, that wouldn't cause the recoiling barrel to break my nose...
    That's why you buy the 20 or the .410

It looks like enough fire power to take care of the home front. I will keep watch for the Mossbergs new project.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    It looks like enough fire power to take care of the home front. I will keep watch for the Mossbergs new project.
    What is Mossbergs new project?
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer