Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oregon: SO It Begins: FBI uses RFL to seize guns from former Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman View Post
    Which begs the question if a person doesn't commit a crime, what's the justification for confiscating their property?
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman View Post
    Part of the story is that he actually said that "If Antifa starts killing us" then he has a plan to slaughter them. As a conditional statement, it doesn't legally constitute a threat, which is why he wasn't charged with a crime. Which begs the question if a person doesn't commit a crime, what's the justification for confiscating their property?
    Interesting topic

At the core the guy stated (Translation)= if this group starts killing my side, then we fight back by killing them too. To me that is not a threat to just start killing. Instead a rather inarticulate way of stating he plans to defend himself and has the means to do so.
    Could he have said it different? Yes of course, ask the FBI. This guy made a big mistake by saying the word slaughter.
    If he had said Defend it would have came off much better. But he still might have gotten raided
    If a Black Panther, Antifa or Communist Workers party member had made a similar statement in a similar context would they get raided?
    Of course not, it would be viewed as propaganda and ignored

The example of shouting fire in a movie theater would not apply, as the Man shouting fire is doing so to cause a stampede to see people get hurt.
    Not the same
    Threats against presidents, elected officials, police or celebrity figures. Well we have been told by the media and rival political interests for decades its free speech or art to talk about violence against Presidents and police.
    Media figures have even openly talked about how they would like to see political officials and police families attacked. Yes its interesting we have to see how this turns out, but I think I already know.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

They are developing an A1 search engine that will screen all online postings and supposedly ID persons with signs of mental illness and those that appear to be a threat to others.
    This supposedly will be used in gun control.

(Reminds me of Communist China new "social credit" program that screens everything you do or say, decides if you are a "good" citizen and restricts travel/rights to those it
    decides are not. Of course there is almost no way to appeal the labeling once you are on the bad list.)

Facial ID can now trace your activities by just clicking on your face and searching for it thru the data base to see where else you have been. Also developing system that analyzes
    your face/body and decides what sort of mental state you are in (happy, upset/angry, confused/frustrated, so on), also if you maybe carrying a weapon.

This kind of stuff is being developed and put in use faster than I can keep track of it.

George Orwell 1984 - "Big Brother is watching you"
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    They are developing an A1 search engine that will screen all online postings and supposedly ID persons with signs of mental illness and those that appear to be a threat to others.
    This supposedly will be used in gun control.

(Reminds me of Communist China new "social credit" program that screens everything you do or say, decides if you are a "good" citizen and restricts travel/rights to those it
    decides are not. Of course there is almost no way to appeal the labeling once you are on the bad list.)

Facial ID can now trace your activities by just clicking on your face and searching for it thru the data base to see where else you have been. Also developing system that analyzes
    your face/body and decides what sort of mental state you are in (happy, upset/angry, confused/frustrated, so on), also if you maybe carrying a weapon.

This kind of stuff is being developed and put in use faster than I can keep track of it.

George Orwell 1984 - "Big Brother is watching you"
    Subjective psychiatry has been used by the Nazis, and both Russian and Chinese Communists to suppress opposition and others seen as undesirables since the early 1930's, and it continues today. The problem I have with this is who decides where the line is? Who creates the definitions? The regimes I cited had actual Physiologists come up with the standards they desired, which was evidence enough for them to use weaponized psychiatry. I think the concept of "reasonable persons" is becoming more and more scarce, how many politicians would any of us consider to be a "reasonable person"?

Buck, we're not just living in Orwell's 1984, we're living in Huxley's Brave New World as well.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post

Buck, we're not just living in Orwell's 1984, we're living in Huxley's Brave New World as well.
    You have that last part right.. Half of the USA seems to walking around with mood altering pills inside them. Normal people commit suicide and later you find they were taking 3 or 4 types of anti-depressants, anti anxiety, pain killers, sleeping pills etc.. Add those to medical prescriptions taking for high blood pressure or other aliments. Who knows how combinations can affect someone. If you bring this up, care is needed in conversations as you cant be sure if the person you are speaking with is taking mood altering drugs per doctors instructions. I agree with the Huxley example
    Last edited by Norton; 09-08-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    One of the huge things you see nowadays straight out of Brave New World is how the media has gotten to the point it will obfuscate or downright lie about what happens, and it's not even a matter of "creative editing" anymore. Important or positive stories that reflect something favorable to what they see as the opposition or would threaten their hold on what they consider their base becomes a footnote, if it's even covered at all.

Example; The President signed the First Step Act into law a few days back, something a lot of groups have lobbied to get enacted for quite a while, and one which many of them see as a huge first step in prison reform. The major networks gave it little to no coverage however spent hours upon hours covering the Presidents screw up with a hurricane sharpie map.

And there are grown adults whom have literally never read a book. They have graduated high school, but never have read a book from cover to cover.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.