Thread: colt new service 44-40 questions

colt new service 44-40 questions

I'm trying figure out the correct bullet size to use. The muzzle measures .426, which I've read is something colt did to barrels meant for .427 bullets.
    The slug, once past the muzzle, requires only light taps the first three inches then can be pushed to the forcing cone with a pencil.
    Pushing the slug past the forcing cone shrinks it to .423.
    The cylinder chambers slug at .427. A 4255 bullet falls through the chamber easily.
    There is full but shallow rifling on the bore slug and I can see rifling down the bore.
    A loaded cartridge fits the chambers barely snug using .4255 lead bullet. A .4255 jacketed soft point cartridge (Winchester) will enter and fall out of the chambers. The bullet diameter is supposed to be .426.

The forcing cone measurement bothers me. I can't push a lead or jacketed bullet through it from the cylinder side. Won't the bullet be squeezed too much and rattle down the bore? I can't use a larger bullet in the chambers to match what I think the bore is, the cartridge wouldn't fit.

I'm confused here, maybe over thinking it?
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran
    I was told long ago if the bullet will go thru the cyl. with no resistance it's too small. My Lyman cast bullet manual lists loads for 1 bullet sized .427. For jacketed bullets, size is what you get and just have to shoot a few and see what they do. Hope this helps.

I checked the cylinder and there is a step near the front of the chambers where the case will stop. The rim is what actually stops the case, but the front of the case stops where the chambers step down. While the .426 bullet falls through the chamber, the cartridge just fits with a slight push. I don't have any .427 bullets on hand to test if a cartridge will still chamber or if the additional .001 will spread the case too far to seat in the chamber. And with the chambers slugging at .427 I doubt if a similarly sized bullet will easily exit the chamber. I'm still trying to figure out the forcing cone size thing, too. Thanks for your input, Don.

Don, I got some .427 bullets and loaded a dummy round. The cartridge fits the chambers with no hang up. The bullets are difficult to push through the chamber mouths, which is proper according to fotunecookie45LC in this explanatory video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlv...&index=18&t=0s

Senior Veteran
    I wouldn't be to concerned about the forcing cone. It's an old gun and is what it is. I'd be more concerned about cyl. lock up consistency between all 6 of them. When you get a batch loaded up, I'd try shooting targets with 5 rounds all out of the same cyl. and see how they compare.

Lock up is excellent. It will be awhile before I can try shooting. I only have five large pistol primers left and haven't found anyplace local to buy more at a decent price. Online sellers want $28 hazmat plus shipping for 1000. I'm not concerned about the forcing cone now. I've never heard a good explanation about the cylinder cambers swaging the bullet a bit and then the forcing cone swaging it more. I only shoot black powder shells in it so it won't be stressed. Thanks for your advice.