Thread: Light primer strikes on Turkish M38 Mauser

New Recruit Private

Light primer strikes on Turkish M38 Mauser

New the to the forum and hoping someone can answer a question for me regarding my Turkish M38 Mauser. I just picked up a decent M38 with ammo yesterday and the first 5 rounds, one 1 fired. The 4 unfired rounds all showed what I would consider a decent strike. After waiting the appropriate time on a possible hang fire, I tried 1 of them a second time without any luck. Set them aside and and grabbed my K98 Mauser to try them in. All four went boom with no issues.

I reached out to the previous owner about problems he had with light strikes and he denied having them. He did say the ammo that came with the rifle he didn't shoot much. I don't think it's an ammo issue though since my K98 fired them without a problem.

Since I only paid $140 for this rifle and 170 rounds, I've got some room to put some money into it. I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm pretty sure I can replace a firing pin and a firing pin spring if I need to.

So here's my question - do I start out by replacing the spring first (cheaper than buying a firing pin), and then a firing pin if that doesn't fix it? As for firing pins, anyone know what other Mauser firing pins will work with a Turkish M38? I'm assuming they're not unique and other Mauser pins would work. A quick internet search shows other Mauser pins for sale, but no M38 ones.

Senior Veteran
    A new firing pin/striker spring will most likely solve your problem.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I would first take the bolt apart and clean and lube it well. Then go from there. I have no idea if other firing pins will work . There are better informed folks on your rifle here than myself, I'm sure more help will be coming.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    I would first take the bolt apart and clean and lube it well. Then go from there. I have no idea if other firing pins will work . There are better informed folks on your rifle here than myself, I'm sure more help will be coming.
    Agree, had some Mauser bolts pretty gunked up inside. What brand ammo are you using?
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Agree, had some Mauser bolts pretty gunked up inside. What brand ammo are you using?
    I believe these are milsurp ammo from somewhere. They came loose in a ziplock bag when I bought the rifle from a guy. Posting some pics - I bet you guys know what it is. The eagle looking crest stamp is probably a dead giveaway.IMG_4502.jpgIMG_4503.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by dccd01 View Post
    I believe these are milsurp ammo from somewhere. They came loose in a ziplock bag when I bought the rifle from a guy. Posting some pics - I bet you guys know what it is. The eagle looking crest stamp is probably a dead giveaway.IMG_4502.jpgIMG_4503.JPG
    Looks somewhat like a WW2 Austrian crest, confused on what the date actually is 38 or 67? Some of that old milsurp has really hard primers. Couple of my Mausers struggle with certain types, just switched ammo and they
    function fine. First I would makes sure the bolt is clean and lubed inside and try different ammo. Also commercial ammo will have softer primers. If that does not work then I would think about a spring and/or
    firing pin replacement.

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Looks somewhat like a WW2 Austrian crest, confused on what the date actually is 38 or 67? Some of that old milsurp has really hard primers. Couple of my Mausers struggle with certain types, just switched ammo and they
    function fine. First I would makes sure the bolt is clean and lubed inside and try different ammo. Also commercial ammo will have softer primers. If that does not work then I would think about a spring and/or
    firing pin replacement.
    I googled crests and came across wikipedia's "List of military headstamps". Pretty interesting, but I think I found out it's Polish. I believe that is their crest, and the letter "N" refers to Norblin, an ammo factory. Under Poland, it previously states "On the headstamp the cartridge manufacturer placed their code letters at the 12 o'clock position. Government-run factories that made ammunition for the military (Wytwornia Amunicji) placed the Polish National Eagle stamp instead. The case manufacturer's code letter or numeral was placed in the 6 o' clock position and the two digit percentage of copper in the case's brass (usually 67 for 7,9mm Mauser) was placed at the 9 o'clock position. The last two digits of year of production was placed at the 3 o'clock position."

Based on this, it looks like 67 refers to 67% brass in the case, and it was manufactured in 1938. Just thought you might find it interesting.

New Recruit Private
    Thanks to everyone - I'll try cleaning up the bolt first before changing out parts.

I'd like to keep this thread going a little longer and see if any one knows if there are any other compatible firing pins that will fit this Turkish M38 just in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dccd01 View Post
    I googled crests and came across wikipedia's "List of military headstamps". Pretty interesting, but I think I found out it's Polish. I believe that is their crest, and the letter "N" refers to Norblin, an ammo factory. Under Poland, it previously states "On the headstamp the cartridge manufacturer placed their code letters at the 12 o'clock position. Government-run factories that made ammunition for the military (Wytwornia Amunicji) placed the Polish National Eagle stamp instead. The case manufacturer's code letter or numeral was placed in the 6 o' clock position and the two digit percentage of copper in the case's brass (usually 67 for 7,9mm Mauser) was placed at the 9 o'clock position. The last two digits of year of production was placed at the 3 o'clock position."

Based on this, it looks like 67 refers to 67% brass in the case, and it was manufactured in 1938. Just thought you might find it interesting.
    Good going on looking it up. Primer strikes aside you were also dealing with 80 year old ammo, some of that old ammo still goes bang and some is inconsistent. Lot depends how it was sealed up and stored.
    I have a 1916 Waffenfabrik Oberndorf production Imperial German Gewehr 98 given to the Ottoman Empire during World War I, which somehow survive intact, most were reworked. Also a pretty decent
    M38 with Turkish made receiver. I have not shot either one of them.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 09-29-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Senior Veteran
    I have an 1895 Chilean Mauser made in 1897 that has successfully fired every round I have put through it so far. All new commercial ammo though. It's all original parts as far as I can tell.

meand1895.jpg
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer