Thread: Flea market gas mask find.

Senior Veteran

Flea market gas mask find.

Found this at a local flea market this past weekend. M9 gas mask and an M17 carrier I believe? Korea/Vietnam era?

Mask1.jpg

Mask2.jpg

Mask3.jpg
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

We were still using the black masks from Vietnam when I got out in 81.

when I retired in 95, we still had M17 and M25 "tanker" gas mask. I was always issued with the M25 because I was on a track, it had the CVC communication plug.

my last 3 years I was issued with the M17, when I became a Plt. Sgt., I hated it. I felt claustrophobic wear it with the bug eye lens. the 25 had 2 great advantages over the 17, it was lighter, the filter canister was in the bag connected by a hose and had a wide field of view
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulardi View Post
    when I retired in 95, we still had M17 and M25 "tanker" gas mask. I was always issued with the M25 because I was on a track, it had the CVC communication plug.

my last 3 years I was issued with the M17, when I became a Plt. Sgt., I hated it. I felt claustrophobic wear it with the bug eye lens. the 25 had 2 great advantages over the 17, it was lighter, the filter canister was in the bag connected by a hose and had a wide field of view
    We were issued the M42A2 Combat Vehicle Crewman Mask. The replacement for the M25. Same thing, filter canister was in the carry bag connected by a hose and a built in microphone jack. It plugged into the coms in the Patriot ECS (Engagement Control Center).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulardi View Post

Carried the M17 for almost 4 years before I even knew about the M25. Hated the claustrophobia wearing the M17. I must have been zoning out when they said never get the filter wet. I washed my M17 for inspection and passed, but when I got to the gas chamber...oh boy. And I would not admit I had a "leak", so I stayed in there trying to minimize my breathing, but snot was running everywhere.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbunny View Post
    Carried the M17 for almost 4 years before I even knew about the M25. Hated the claustrophobia wearing the M17. I must have been zoning out when they said never get the filter wet. I washed my M17 for inspection and passed, but when I got to the gas chamber...oh boy. And I would not admit I had a "leak", so I stayed in there trying to minimize my breathing, but snot was running everywhere.
    Lol! Learned a good lesson from that one huh?