Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKS Model "M"

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Mine is factory and mag locks up super tight. Admit it is a pain to hold bolt open, try to hold mag release lever and pop mag out all at the same time (LOL). BTW some time back I was curious if it
    would take 75rd AK drum. Found they would not lock in as the wood stock makes the mag well deeper. Sides of drum would hit stock before it could be rotated in.
    Yeah, drums are the reason for the reliefs on the side of that fiberglass stock.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I thought for sure I had a thread on this site showing all of the details of the mag well and trigger pack modification needed to accept AK mags but I couldn't find it with a google search. I have loads of comparison photos I took comparing normal SKS parts to the "M" model.
    Last edited by holescreek; 10-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.

The ones Norinco did were done to perfection. All the others I've read were problematic and never did work right. I do know that some were built on riveted receivers and some were milled, which I think is somewhat strange when stopping to give it some thought. At least that's what I was reading someplace a couple of years back as I was suffering seller remorse because mine was milled which was not as common. Regardless Gregg that is a little cookie worth keeping in the stable for the future, or you can wring your hands like me and weep rivers of tears. Extremely reliable rifle to have in your hands when the chips are down.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    I thought for sure I had a thread on this site showing all of the details of the mag well and trigger pack modification needed to accept AK mags but I couldn't find it with a google search. I have loads of comparison photos I took comparing normal SKS parts to the "M" model.
    I thought there was something on file somewhere - we have having rain/flooding today, temp dropping like a rock, so no more pictures until this clears up. I need to do them outside.

Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    The ones Norinco did were done to perfection. All the others I've read were problematic and never did work right. I do know that some were built on riveted receivers and some were milled, which I think is somewhat strange when stopping to give it some thought. At least that's what I was reading someplace a couple of years back as I was suffering seller remorse because mine was milled which was not as common. Regardless Gregg that is a little cookie worth keeping in the stable for the future, or you can wring your hands like me and weep rivers of tears. Extremely reliable rifle to have in your hands when the chips are down.
    I agree, I rarely part with anything and it is one I will hang on to.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Good looking rifle. I'm going to build a faux M with some stock swapage I've got cooking. PAX