Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery from the woods???

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    First thing my wife said when she looked at it, "That's a plant or tree fossil." I think she might be right, as much as I hate to admit! Lol

Lepidodendron (Knorria)

https://samnoblemuseum.ou.edu/common...il-lycophytes/
    Site has some good info on fossils. We are around 8 miles from OK border, so it is almost a local source of info. Looks like I might pickup a new hobby (LOL). Need to do some research
    so I have a little idea what to look for as I would guess if we found these there are other type fossils out there too.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Site has some good info on fossils. We are around 8 miles from OK border, so it is almost a local source of info. Looks like I might pickup a new hobby (LOL). Need to do some research
    so I have a little idea what to look for as I would guess if we found these there are other type fossils out there too.
    Might find some water creature or dinosaur fossils out there. That would be cool.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

yep instantly said expanded metal since im staring at some right now.

but hearing it could be a tree fossil is pretty friggin cool!

your local university should be able to look at that for you for free & carbon test it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Dating Paleozoic fossils is actually pretty tough to do - Carbon dating is only reliable to about 50,000 years before present and that fossil will be around 300 million years old based on the link. The potassium-argon method and similar ones go back far enough, but they are more for igneous & metamorphic rocks - they would give you a date on when the sand making up that sandstone was originally part of a granite, which could be 100 million years off easily.

A lot of times, they've already worked out formation names and relations to other formations to get a chronology, and then can calibrated that from a bed that has good paleomagnetic markers. If there is a school with a geology department nearby, they might already know about how old that formation is if you can point to it on a map.

J,

im gonna tease ya....

if its 300million years old..... whats 50k either way? theres a lot of 50k's in 300 million.

It seems to predate the dinosaurs anyway, so let say it is just old (LOL). I would guess by what else animal and plant life was/is found in the same sediment they have a pretty good idea what
    was around at the time.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    J,

im gonna tease ya....

if its 300million years old..... whats 50k either way? theres a lot of 50k's in 300 million.
    Haha!

I know what you're saying but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way - the C14 half life is something like 5k years, so by the time you get to 50k there is hardly enough left to measure and the accuracy starts dropping. By the time you get to a million years old, the remaining C14 is probably not enough to measure at all.

Buckshot is right though, it's an old rock

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Haha!

I know what you're saying but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way - the C14 half life is something like 5k years, so by the time you get to 50k there is hardly enough left to measure and the accuracy starts dropping. By the time you get to a million years old, the remaining C14 is probably not enough to measure at all.

Buckshot is right though, it's an old rock
    YOU are still educating me to this very day. always good to learn something new.

on the funny end of this? i always applied that same type of "logic" to potential girlfriends......... if she told me she was 30 & she was actually within 5 years either way? close enough for me.

its not carbon dating, but now days you still have to age verify your dates. LMAO

Senior Veteran
    YOU are still educating me to this very day. always good to learn something new.

on the funny end of this? i always applied that same type of "logic" to potential girlfriends......... if she told me she was 30 & she was actually within 5 years either way? close enough for me.

its not carbon dating, but now days you still have to age verify your dates. LMAO
    Unless she tells you she is 18, then 5 years the wrong way could mean big trouble! ROFL!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran

I haven't dated for 25 years now

But it does remind me of buying some beer in Walgreens a few years ago, and their policy is to card everyone. I was behind a guy who was 80 if he was a day, and was so dumbfounded that they were actually checking that he was over 21 that he had a hell of a time remembering which pocket is ID was in!