Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing Land The Easy Way

Clearing Land The Easy Way

In the last couple of years my brother and I bought the remaining land (120 acres) up where my farm is located. With my original farm it gives us 240 private acres
    and me full ownership of the road leading up here. It is great except for one thing. The 120 acres was not taken care the last 25 years and is now over run with
    brush and trees where there use to be pasture. Since my brother runs cows we can use the pasture.

Anyway we have been working on the home sites and fences located on the land, but now need to do something with the brush and trees that have overgrown
    the fields. Cutting with chain saw would take forever and leaves a mess and stumps to deal with. Dozing also leaves a huge mess to clean up.

Last week we were recommended by friend to use brush/tree mulchers like in the video. We were hooked up with a father son team that run two of the
    mulchers, one large and one smaller and will have them get started in the next week or two (if it stops raining and ground dries some). Said there is
    nothing they can not take down and mulch including full sized hardwood trees. We will be keeping the big trees anyway. It is not cheap so will be
    doing it in stages.

Video is sample how it works. I will take some photos when they start work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YklhS8egSg
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-26-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    That thing does some serious chewing up!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

That'll certainly thin things out quickly.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Looks like a fun tool!
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

its like Godzilla...guy cleared a lot behind me that I use to own and I went over and watched for a while....incredible...
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Clearing Land The Easy Way
    For a moment there, I thought this was gonna be a "wildfire" thread!
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    For a moment there, I thought this was gonna be a "wildfire" thread!
    Well, one of those did start a forest fire east of Albuquerque in 2016

The USFS uses these a lot in areas around towns here. They have their pluses and minuses. From what I've heard, you need to watch the chip depth - too deep and you actually start deterring grasses, at least out here where its dry and the wood chips tend to hang around for a long time.

Senior Veteran
    Buck, the mulchers are ok but it's going to grow back. What ya really need is a good old rome plow to go through there and tear it up. That'll kill all the saplings and other junk ya want to get rid of.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Crossbow herbicide will prevent anything from growing back. I use it to kill off blackberries, English ivy, and poison oak.

Dispenser of the Haterade.

We used Grazon herbicide - it is pretty persistent and takes out everything but the grass. We have 200 gal tractor sprayers and 25 gal sprayers we use in the Polaris. You can also get it
    mixed in commercial fertilizer and spread with spreader truck. The down side is that it is persistent and certain winter crops we plant in hay fields won't do well with it in soil. We stopped
    using it in the main hay fields and just in cow pastures, and overgrown areas we do not hay. Along fence rows, such as the ones back in the brush/briars we use couple of types of
    kill all. Usually hit them in late spring and then touch them up in mid summer.

I am getting older and my past injuries have slowed me up. It has helped me a lot now that my very capable younger brother bought the land next to me and my partner in hay
    business is very particular in keeping the hay fields weed free and in good condition. With the 3 of us having equipment we are not lacking for anything w need equipment wise.
    In short, if I need help I can get it from them even without asking.

We moved my brother's cows off the recently purchase land (120 acres) to my hay fields for the winter so can work on it without worrying about them being in the way.
    Some of his cows in my west field from house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-27-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible