Thread: CETME in 6.5 Creedmoor

Senior Veteran

CETME in 6.5 Creedmoor

Hey all,
    After successfully rebuilding my Century CETME on a PTR receiver, I've been thinking of doing another rifle from a parts kit, but I'd like to do it in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Getting the parts kit is no problem, but I'm not sure where I should start looking for the barrel.

I was thinking that I'd do something a bit more modern and maybe use the rifle in 2 gun ACM.

So I'm imagining that I would use one of those Spuhr stocks and maybe do a pic rail across the entire top of the rifle so that I can use either a Low power Variable optic or a Prism scope of some kind.

I also wonder about the best locking piece to use; maybe I should use Modelo B parts if I can find them?

Any information about the locking piece or barrel would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Brian

I haven't heard of anyone chamber fluting a 6.5 barrel. I'd have to look at the ballistics of the 6.5C compared to a .308 to even hazard a guess on where to start for a locking piece. It's irrelevant without a barrel anyway. Sounds like a fun project!

Senior Veteran
    Roger that.

I was going to just thinking about calling around to some different places (such as Faxon) and seeing what they have to say.
    I feel like that round should be a fairly natural try. It's the same length and parent cartridge. I got a buddy to press some bullets into empty and primerless cases for me to see if the action would feed it properly and seems to work okay.

Plus with being slightly less heavy (physically) it should lighten the weight of my loadout a little plus the round has such nice ballistics.
    I'm also thinking it might be really nice to shoot due having a little less recoil.

After looking at the CM online I'm kind of surprised that no one has made one yet. However, If you want to pursue building one I suggest that you use an HK91/G3 kit so you have access to ready-made locking pieces to adjust the bolt timing. My best guess based on the ballistics is that a standard locking piece in either the HK (45 degrees) or Cetme (50 degrees) would make a good starting point but will eventually end up in the 40 degree range.

I chamber fluted a 6.8SPC barrel for a Cetme L for a member a year or two ago but I don't think he completed the build.

Veteran
    You could also go the gas operated route and don't worry about fluting. Could be a good one though I like the 6.5X47 better.

Frank

I've mentioned making something in 6.5 on the Zone several times then kind of forgot about it. I have loads of Sierra bullets left over from my days of reloading 6.5x55 for ground hog hunting but they're all 120 to 140 grain.

Senior Veteran
    That HK advice is much appreciated. I didn't know they made such a wide variety of locking pieces.
    I'll definitely check that out.