Thread: To clip or not to clip?

New Recruit

To clip or not to clip?

I did a form 1 .22lr can, and have shot it plenty and I'm pleased with it, but I keep seeing that clipping the baffles is the way to go. I don't have any fancy machinery or anything but see people using a carbide burr bit and a dremel.

Im thinking I should leave well enough alone, but always curious if it could be better. Using a cheesy downloaded app on my phone, its saying my cans report is 75db 4in from the muzzle but inline with it.

My setup is a 6"x1.5" all aluminum can, cone baffle stack, and its used primarily on a FVSR .22lr bolt gun. I've run this can on a charger, and while still quiet, its not as quiet as on a rifle. I've tried every ammo I can get my hands on to include Eley match but it no kidding likes the cheap Rem Subsonic. Fine with me, as groups are usually inside 1/2" at 50yds with a flier 1-2" outside the group every 8th or 10th round.

So, my question is....should I mess with it? Does anyone have experience, before and after clipping?

FWIW im not a mall ninja, I live out in the country and can shoot whatever I want with little regard to noise, but it's fun to shoot off my back porch while the wife naps and not wearing ear pro.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

As much as I hate to direct traffic away from here....form1suppressor.boards.net is a wealth of information for form1 cans. The point of clipping is to further disrupt laminer flow and you have like 6 different types commonly used to choose from. Dont get too hung up on chasing decibel numbers and have fun with it.

As far as equipment needed, you can make a jig to hold the cones out of wood if you wanted to. A guy on the above mentioned forum 3d prints a "jig" that sits over the end of the cone and you just file/dremel/cut it to the mark and away you go. If you sucessfully created a form 1 can and havnt had a baff strike from it out the gate, you can easily clip the cones.
    Last edited by shibbykins; 11-06-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    COG# 1987

New Recruit
    I appreciate the scoop. I'll check that guy out. I'm happy with it as is, just curious more than anything if I'm missing a big deal and all. The suppressor for me is more of a novelty thing, I'm not gonna be one of those guys with dozens of them on several hosts or anything. All good info man, thanks.