Thread: Bayonet collecting

New Recruit

Bayonet collecting

Anyone collect bayonets? I don't call myself a collector, I just acquire bayonets. Of course every rifle I own that has provisions for a bayonet, MUST have one, and I do my best to make sure its period correct for the rifle, but I've been thinking about getting more into them, buying bayonets for rifles I don't even own.

My attraction to them is that they're cool as all heck, fun to collect, not as expensive as collecting guns that's for sure, though I'm sure there are some pretty pricey bayonets out there. I like reading up on them, their history and the changes along the way.

One of my favorites is my M1 Garand bayonet. I picked it up in a militaria store in Portsmouth England during a port call. 1942 AFH 16" in great condition with scabbard. It coincides with my 1942 Garand very well.

Anyone else?

Veteran
    I Pretty much pick them up for the rifles in the “collection “. That’s a rabbit hole I’d rather not fall into. That Garand bayonet sounds like a good find.

I have a fairly large number of Garands and would every so often order a few bayonets thru CMP. Pretty much have them all with bayonets. Over the years I managed to pick up bayonets for many of the other
    types of milsurps I have. Left side is American rifles from Garands going back to the Trapdoors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-08-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by RI woodbutcher View Post
    I Pretty much pick them up for the rifles in the “collection “. That’s a rabbit hole I’d rather not fall into. That Garand bayonet sounds like a good find.

It was a really cool shop. I got that Garand bayonet and a Nazi Officers dress dagger. They had all sorts of stuff, it was like a museum but everything had a price tag on it. One of the items they had was a Mini-14 and it was labeled "The A-Team Gun" lol Funny thing about the firearms they had, Stens, MP40's STG's, a Thompson.... the store clerk said they were all "demilled" and wouldn't fire. But everything I inspected, the action worked perfectly and the bore was unobstructed. I don't know what their criteria for demilled is, but they looked fine to me.