Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krags in Wehrmacht: WW2

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    So, I'm sitting here watching Hogan's Hero's. The scam has a truck crashing the gate. Interestingly, all the guards behind the barricade are holding Krags. So, was the prop person stupid or well versed in history? The Germans were well known for using what they captured. Browning Hi-Powers from FN, Polish Vis 35's, etc. Any evidence what they captured in Norway was spread around for non front line use?
    Funny, I've always wondered the same thing, cause most of the other guns are accurate.
    I love you guys...

I know 11B's are convinced, that they're issued Civil War leftovers of EVERYTHING - weaponry included. But NOBODY, gets older, more worn, more obsolete gear, than stockade guards - and that's probably true for foreign armies as well.

First off, ALL your prisoners, are disarmed. You hardly need the latest 40watt phased plasma rifle, against un-armed/unarmored sorts - most of whom probably AREN'T as well fed & motivated, as Hogan's crew.

Secondly - you're guarding prisoners. 11B's on the front line, ARE gonna get BETTER gear than YOU!

Lastly, and accurate for the Germans in WWII - WHOSE gonna comprise the BULK of your Army of 11B's? 18 - 25 year olds, primarily. Germany - a country the size of MT (roughly), is throwing 4,000,000 men into France, Russia, and all points in-between. John Bannerman probably looked more like a TYPICAL Luftstalag NCO than you realize! An O-L-D NCO from the GREAT War, he and other older vets, perhaps not FIT for the front lines, get the old Krags they were already used to (and proficient WITH), and get stuck with the necessary, but crap duty, of guarding prisoners.

Talk to a Sheriff's deputy, assigned to county jail duty. Talk to a state prison guard; even a federal guard at some of the lower profile prisons. ASK them about their gear... and get comfortable! See how many are still issued REVOLVERS. Ask them about body armor past its expiration date. Ask them about other old, worn equipment they get issued on their job.

It beats trying to keep order with a billy club... but not by MUCH. The MP-40's looked intimidating in "The Great Escape," but Sgt. Schultz was probably the more accurate of the two...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

i love to watch for the wrong guns/era/war/ and post it off as the gap filled by whatever the armory prop truck happened to have

my favorite is the Civil War time line era cowboy movies where there is proof that there is time travel.....when the "cowboys" are in 1869 and they are all carrying 73's (revolver) and 92's/94's or 73's
    Last edited by Silvera; 02-08-2021 at 04:46 AM.
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

speaking of guns in a movie, this is going way, way back, but there was a made for TV channel movie, might have been the ANIMAL CHANNEL, that was centered on dogs in Viet Nam, the actors playing soldiers had HI-POINTs and I think mini-14s. talk about a low-low budget in the prop dept

can't recall the name of the movie, but it was a stinker
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 02-08-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvera View Post
    i love to watch for the wrong guns/era/war/ and post it off as the gap filled by whatever the armory prop truck happened to have

my favorite is the Civil War time line era cowboy movies where there is proof that there is time travel.....when the "cowboys" are in 1869 and they are all carrying 73's (revolver) and 92's/94's or 73's

Depends on how GOOD the movie is.

Josey Wales doesn't get past the 20 minute mark, without that anachronistic Gatling gun there.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -