Thread: Security Systems

Security Systems

In my mancave thread sdk1968 and scottz63 concurred that a security system is a good idea. I was thinking the same thing. I thought a separate thread to chat about some specifics might be nice. I'm curious what systems you guys are using? Simpli-safe has been doing alot of advertising lately but that doesn't mean they are the best.

can tell you about 3 big names:

ADT Brinks simplisafe

ADT: yep the biggest name & who i have currently at my newer location. all the components were "free" with the 2 year contract. they are friggin EXPENSIVE!~!!!!!!! more than double almost triple what the same set up from simplisafe costs!! like Scott said: got motion detectors, body heat calibrated for pets, glass breakage, entry sensors, camera's & the whole thing can be ran from the app on the phone from anywhere. this is also a phone line free system. so no one can "cut the cord" & deactivate it. same thing on the internet... its all done thru wireless transmission. COST: $64 a month currently.

Brinks: had the exact same set up as above, $20 a month cheaper. didnt go with them because most of the system was already in place at this location. $44.99 a month.

SImplisafe: absolutely loved this outfit & they had stellar support & service. $26 a month got me 24/7 service & the all app controlled system. These were great people to deal with & had them for 4 years at my old location. NEVER a single complaint & they called within 30 seconds every single time my system was ever triggered. Easy to set up, easy to operate. great pricing. the ONLY drawback was you had to buy the components. They have an ever evolving set up that continues to get better & now they even have camera's. (they did not have this option when i had them). Other thing to look for is if you have a remote building/shop: it COULD be too far away to register vs ADT/Brinks & running a hard cable underground.

there are tons of other brands/options out there, but i'll never have a system/outfit that doesnt have LIVE system monitoring & support 24/7. also will never have one that doesnt have remote/cell capability.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

New Recruit Private
    I just installed Simplisafe and it could not be easier. They had a special running with 40 percent off and I got a very complete system for under a grand. Best thing for active monitoring service there is no contract. Just turn it on and off as needed. So far I am more than happy, we were quoted by a security company (ADT) to have the same components for about $2600, then contract for monitoring at about $60/mo (I believe).

Paul,

nice to hear they are charging the same ridiculous rate everywhere & not just my area getting hosed.

soon as this contract is up? pretty sure will go back to simplisafe also.

Senior Veteran
    I’m curious what specific panels some companies are using. I integrate, for one of my businesses, with security systems to home automation systems, so the technical specs can be pretty important.
    PLEASE NOTE!
    No post or message by this user shall be considered legal advice or a legal opinion, and shall not constitute the formation of a client/lawyer relationship. Do not rely on this information in making legal decisions. If you have a legal questions, please seek legal council qualified to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Looking at least to get some outside cameras up, but I have never had a smart phone (still using 13 y.o. flip phone), or smart TV, which I am guessing is needed to run things on?
    Looking at add say wireless cameras, so how are they powered?
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Looking at least to get some outside cameras up, but I have never had a smart phone (still using 13 y.o. flip phone), or smart TV, which I am guessing is needed to run things on?
    Looking at add say wireless cameras, so how are they powered?
    Wireless cameras are typically battery powered.

I've been slowly putting together a security camera system at home. I'm going with PoE cameras (power over ethernet) as I dont want to have to worry about changing out batteries. I ran all the ethernet from my laundry room in the basement up through conduit in the space our chimney is boxed out to the attic. From there I could route it out to the soffits where the cameras are hung. My brother in law went to school for computers so I had him build me a small home server where all the video data is stored and is set up for remote access to view when away.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

^^^^^ yeah as WM said.... lots of those wireless camera's use battery's & some of those you have to be really careful with cause they take 2-3 of those $7 EACH batteries! & then they only last for 60 days! YIKES!!!

think it was "the nest" cams we had & as soon as we saw those batts.... we took those babies back to the store.

some of the other cams have wireless video transfer... but still have to have a power cord ran to them.

Thanks for advice, someone was telling about a good deal on a wireless set - I will pass on it.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible