Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cofederate Cannons I built

Senior Veteran
    I do like your cannon, How do you fire it with the pull string??

Also Dominick Carpenter's cannons are not store bought.. THEY ARE 10 TIMES BETTER he is one of those great geniuses who blends quality with historical accuracy on a darn budget..

Veteran
    Yes Dom makes some good stuff. He is very good and I am always amazed he can make this stuff at prices us Peasants can afford.

It is Lanyard Fired. I can Fire it using Musket Caps and the Slap Hammer/Cannon Lock, or I can fire it with Friction Primers after screwing the Musket nipple out.. Of course the musket caps are the financially friendlier way,LOL

Could even use Fuse if I cared to. That is not safe in my opinion though.

Here is a video showing Explaining the Firing loading sequence and how it all works...Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5kMg8j1pw
    Last edited by Carbineone1964; 01-08-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Very nice.. one that Dominick made for me has the same type, but he used 22 blanks from the hardware store. No need for a nipple then.

I really like how you load that.. Very nice. do you mold your own lead shells??

Veteran
    Yes I cast them. They weigh right at 1 pound 11 ounces. I cast them with lead. I would like to try some Zinc ones, but so far I have not had real good luck casting Zinc. The higher temps needed to get Zinc molten, always seems to cause me problems.

Hughes had I think the first Patent on a Breech Loading Cannon design in the US. But it was a Confederate Patent. So it was useless after the War ended. I have a copy of his original Confederate Patent and Drawings too. It was a pretty neat idea.

You can see there is a rubber ring on the Breech Bolt assembly. That is called a obturator. When fired it is on a piston so to speak. It compress's rearward from gas pressure and expands the rubber into the walls of the Breech, sealing it. Then after firing, it of course relaxes back and is ready to go again. That was a innovative idea there also.

A couple smaller ones I have built used 22 nail gun blanks. But of course they did not exist in the Civil War Era time. On this I kinda like to stay as authentic as possible.
    Last edited by Carbineone1964; 01-09-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbineone1964 View Post
    Here is a video showing Explaining the Firing loading sequence and how it all works...Thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5kMg8j1pw
    Cool! Thanks for the video. Now I know how to load and fire one of those.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Veteran
    You never know when that kind of 150 year knowledge may be useful.LOL

It works pretty much like a really big Bolt Action in Layman's terms.

Senior Veteran
    Yes I cast them. They weigh right at 1 pound 11 ounces. I cast them with lead. I would like to try some Zinc ones, but so far I have not had real good luck casting Zinc. The higher temps needed to get Zinc molten, always seems to cause me problems.

Hughes had I think the first Patent on a Breech Loading Cannon design in the US. But it was a Confederate Patent. So it was useless after the War ended. I have a copy of his original Confederate Patent and Drawings too. It was a pretty neat idea.

You can see there is a rubber ring on the Breech Bolt assembly. That is called a obturator. When fired it is on a piston so to speak. It compress's rearward from gas pressure and expands the rubber into the walls of the Breech, sealing it. Then after firing, it of course relaxes back and is ready to go again. That was a innovative idea there also.

A couple smaller ones I have built used 22 nail gun blanks. But of course they did not exist in the Civil War Era time. On this I kinda like to stay as authentic as possible.
    Many thanks for that info.. But a question What do you hope to get out of the round by making zinc..??? Mind you I think its great, but why ???

What nail guns not exist in the Civil War Era... You Lie

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by indy1919a4 View Post
    Many thanks for that info.. But a question What do you hope to get out of the round by making zinc..??? Mind you I think its great, but why ???

What nail guns not exist in the Civil War Era... You Lie
    My cannons centered on the Musket ball cal size or Golf Ball size. So per the Musket balls, I can and have molded them.. Per the Golf ball size, I must confess I like getting the "Free" ammo..

Veteran
    Zinc. Mostly because of the weight. Zinc is better for Larger Projectiles for sure, almost mandatory..

It is mostly about pressures when you use Lead in a Larger Bore. Same thing as when you use a heavier Bullet in a Firearm. pressure increases.

You will just not find anyone with Large Cannons shooting a 3 Inch Lead Projectile. Or atleast anyone with sense,LOL. They used Iron in the old days. They would never had used a Lead projectile for a Large Cannon. Though I am sure they could have made them.

The Modern Steel used to build the Bofors Barrel used in my Hughes, is so far superior to the Iron and Bronze they had in the Civil War. That I do not worry about using lead so much in it.

Lead is really on its way out too I am afraid. Most Wheel weights I get now from the Local tire places are Zinc. I have to sort through a 5 gallon bucket now and get about 20% lead at most. They take the Zinc back and only charge a little bit for what lead I do get.

Scrap Lead is just plain getting harder to find also.
    Last edited by Carbineone1964; 01-14-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Zinc. Mostly because of the weight. Zinc is better for Larger Projectiles for sure, almost mandatory..

It is mostly about pressures when you use Lead in a Larger Bore. Same thing as when you use a heavier Bullet in a Firearm. pressure increases.

You will just not find anyone with Large Cannons shooting a 3 Inch Lead Projectile. Or atleast anyone with sense,LOL. They used Iron in the old days. They would never had used a Lead projectile for a Large Cannon. Though I am sure they could have made them.

The Modern Steel used to build the Bofors Barrel used in my Hughes, is so far superior to the Iron and Bronze they had in the Civil War. That I do not worry about using lead so much in it.

Lead is really on its way out too I am afraid. Most Wheel weights I get now from the Local tire places are Zinc. I have to sort through a 5 gallon bucket now and get about 20% lead at most. They take the Zinc back and only charge a little bit for what lead I do get.

Scrap Lead is just plain getting harder to find also.
    Many thanks for the info.. I really did not appreciate that.. again thanks for sharing.. Ouch on the wheel weight going zinc.. Now I have not gotten any in a whole but in my misspent youth it was my go to place for lead.. But you can still get bulk lead at show for about $1 a pound.

Ever go to the Big Sandy shoot out west.. Usually a lot of nice cannons out there..