Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: captured 98k

captured 98k

one of our platoons brought me a goody tonight before they turned it in because they knew i would drool over it and get unduly excited. boy were they right!! i'll post pics later when i've got more time.

they found a mauser in excellent condition except for a few dings in the stock and the normal wear to be expected of a 60 year old service rifle. the receiver is stamped 1944. all serial numbers match. it even came with its bayonet. (damned if i can figure out how to mount it though) a subsequent check of the waffenamt shows it was made by mauser-werke in nordhein-westfallen. this is the same factory that my grandfather raided in WWII. he had a mauser from the same factory that he brought home after the war.
    too bad we can't do that any more. how cool would that be to have a matching pair of war trophy rifles from the same nazi weapons factory, two generations apart?

they also had an iranian G3 that was pretty beat up, but interesting nonetheless. i've got some pics of that i'll try to post later if anybody's interested.

we find all kinds of interesting weapons out here, but this was by far the coolest.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

post pics
    COG #1018

Yes. Post pics. That is another rifle I've wanted to get my hands on for a long time. Starting to get serious about the idea.

pics

i thought i had more pics than this. most of the pics of the stampings didn't turn out because my camera has trouble taking macro pics in low light. i'll try to retake some later.
    the waffenamt stamp on the bottom is 135/byf, which was the mauserwerke factory in oberndorf.

the pics don't really do this thing much justice. i'll try to take some more later when i can take it outside in the sun and get better light on it. (these were taken at 4am) the blueing is mostly worn off, but other than that, it's in great shape. the action is slick and the trigger is smoooooth.

the soldier in the first photo is also wearing a bandolier full of stripper clips that was found with the weapon.

NICE !!!!! I would sure like to put that in my safe !!!

That is really cool. Any change of pics of the G3? You should cut it up and bring home all the parts you can and have it rebuilt on a US receiver! I saw someone who did this and it was really cool!

Yes, please! I'd love to see pics of the Iranian G3 and it's receiver.

Did you test the bolt gap on it? That might be amusing!

Can you bring things home like the bandolier? What's the policy of bringing stuff home, always wondered about it.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

weasel - i believe it's a DA 601? i'd have to check with my commander. there is a form that you can fill out and if your commander approves it, you can bring stuff like that home (without the ammo) the army has gotten real strict about this stuff recently. if it once belonged to an insurgent, it must be carefully documented and approved. it's not impossible, just a PITA.

i'll put the g3 pics in another thread a little bit later but i still have to resize them all.

I wonder how many people that thing has "touched". I wonder who brought it to that area. Its' history and its story is probably very interesting.
    Do you know what happens when good people carry lethal weapons? Their mentality changes from passive to active, vulnerable to protective, powerless to empowered, dependent to independent. Very simply, they become more responsible and more capable of doing good.

In fact, they make up the very fabric of a free America. This is the whole concept of the unregulated militia.

David Kupelian