Thread: Cant work this bolt.......

Cant work this bolt.......

This is a Danish-Madsen, 30-06, a South American contract rifle, 30-06. It is near new condition. I cant open the bolt, tried several years ago, wouldnt open then either. The little squeeze release (?) you see on the left squeezes just fine, but nothing happens as far as releasing the bolt from its closed position. The gadget with the squeezer in it wont move either; up, down, fore or aft. There is an S on top of the brownish sleeve just behind the squeeze gadget. All this stuff jiggles, but the bolt handle wont come up......????? Every thing about this rifle is near new.

Comments...........?????

PJH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Veteran
    Maybe try pulling the striker back into the locked position? I don't know. You have the safety in the fire position so it should allow the bolt to open. Might also just be stuck. Those things sat in storage, unissued, for decades before they were sold to the surplus market. Maybe a few light taps on the bolt handle with a rubber mallet.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I'd first check it with a cleaning rod to make sure there isn't anything stuck in the chamber. It cocks on opening, perhaps the cosmoline inside the bolt is dried up or the cam to cock the striker isn't beveled enough . Did you try pulling back the cocking piece until the sear catches it? It has to be cocked in order to move the safety (little squeeze release) from fire where it is now to straight up to safe which blocks the sights. Once you get the bolt moving, hold the trigger down while drawing it to the rear to remove the bolt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56yppDNO6Y

About a month ago I had a similar thing happen with a Enfield #5 Jungle carbine that I've owned for 20+ years. Never had an issue with it and got it in unissued condition. Last month at the range after about 30 shots of Privi the bolt locked up tight. Tight enough it seemed like I'd break something before it would unlock. Was able to slightly pull the cocking tab enough to let the bolt unlock and when cocked and the sear was pulled the cocking piece stayed back. Pulled the bolt from the rifle, doused it with M-pro7 (clp) and was able to free up the striker and shoot another 100rnds or so. Some of the 70 year old grease in the bolt had hardened up and finally dislodged gumming up the bolt. Cleaned the bolt when we got home, nothing broken, nothing in there that shouldn't be, just old grease.
    Last edited by Moleman; 02-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Statistically, the most likely cause is dried cosmolene which can approach the tenacity of Gorilla Glue. Second most likely is rust. Don't use Kroil or similar products unless you're desperate because it will damage the blued finish. Whether it's cosmo or rust, the first thing I'd do is stick the action in a bucket of kerosene for a few days. Diesel also works but it's a lot messier. Gasoline works but it's hella dangerous and I absolutely wouldn't use it. Kerosene is the right viscosity to seep into all the nooks and crannies and it will dissolve cosmolene, dried grease, etc.

find a bore scope and see whats in there if anything.....ASSURE its not loaded of course
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

good looking gun PJ.

you still finding stuff you forgot you had down in the dungeon?

ive got the bore camera if you want me to take a look down the muzzle end.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

OK........Gents......figured it out. I was using the controls as they were intended. However, the firing pin was rusted stuck in its bore in the bolt. I only found that by accident as it absolutely could not be seen from the outside. No other rust anywhere. The knurled knob on the rear screws onto the firing pin itself, it came right loose with finger pressure. The cammed surface part that must be the sear also slid off after lining up the lug, making lifting the bolt handle easy. The firing pin has a longish spring. That springs pressure should have pushed it right out. I put the soft jaws in my vise, hung the whole assembly on them & tapped the firing pins end with small plastic hammer, popped right out. There was a 1/4 circle of rust inside. A bore cleaning brush took care of the inside & a piece of Scotch-Brite cleaned the firing pin.

This gun shows no sign of ever being fired, (or lubricated!!!)no brass on the firing pin tip, bolt face or extractor. McCollums video states that most of these came after bolt action mil. rifles became obsolete, were stored, then sold to the US collectors market.

We are up & running.......or someone is, as I no longer shoot shoulder wrenching bolt action rifles.

PJH

Senior Veteran
    Awesome! I knew something had to be stuck in there. Good job figuring it out.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
    OK........Gents......figured it out. I was using the controls as they were intended. However, the firing pin was rusted stuck in its bore in the bolt. I only found that by accident as it absolutely could not be seen from the outside. No other rust anywhere. The knurled knob on the rear screws onto the firing pin itself, it came right loose with finger pressure. The cammed surface part that must be the sear also slid off after lining up the lug, making lifting the bolt handle easy. The firing pin has a longish spring. That springs pressure should have pushed it right out. I put the soft jaws in my vise, hung the whole assembly on them & tapped the firing pins end with small plastic hammer, popped right out. There was a 1/4 circle of rust inside. A bore cleaning brush took care of the inside & a piece of Scotch-Brite cleaned the firing pin.

This gun shows no sign of ever being fired, (or lubricated!!!)no brass on the firing pin tip, bolt face or extractor. McCollums video states that most of these came after bolt action mil. rifles became obsolete, were stored, then sold to the US collectors market.

We are up & running.......or someone is, as I no longer shoot shoulder wrenching bolt action rifles.

PJH
    Would love to see a photo of that firing pin.. How much rust is needed to do this??