Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generater

Generater

Sitting here with no outside power as electric company is replacing poles on my property. Earlier I went to start my generator, which will run the basics and could not get it started.
    Had about a half tank of treated gas, but it had been in tank for a while. In the pass the generator always started right up, but it had been sitting for a while now. I decided to add
    some fresh gas to the tank and crank it for a while and it finally started up. Not positive it was the gas (it had been treated for storage), but a good reminder that it is a good idea
    to start them up every few months and let them run for a while. Luckily the battery held up and I did not have to pull start it.

Down in the 20s last night, still cold, so got the wood stove going. The generator should handle the furnace blower, but did not want to max it out. Anyway I am warm and
    got lights and online with computer so all is well.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-13-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I run mine once a month with a load on it for about 30 minutes and use only non ethanol gas in it. Pull it through slowly by hand once or twice to get some oil up on the rod and bearings before hitting the electric start and she always fires right off. If you're running gas containing ethanol are you shutting the petcock off and letting it run itself dry when you shut it down? That helps to keep the bowl and jets clean of algae.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    I run mine once a month with a load on it for about 30 minutes and use only non ethanol gas in it. Pull it through slowly by hand once or twice to get some oil up on the rod and bearings before hitting the electric start and she always fires right off. If you're running gas containing ethanol are you shutting the petcock off and letting it run itself dry when you shut it down? That helps to keep the bowl and jets clean of algae.
    My fault I should have started it up more often. Having no power really sucks, I have been here for days in the past with it out.

I only use premium non-ethanol gas in all of my small engines. When I first got it seemed every few months I would need it, but have not lost power for some time lately.
    I run it thru the main with cut off box.

Senior Veteran
    The other thing with gas is to store in a metal can. Plastic cans are permeable to oxygen and water vapor, gas doesn't last well in them. I got a couple of those 10 liter jerry cans from somewhere, older NATO surplus, nice and heavy. Those are good small engine cans, not crazy heavy when full.

mine is a pull start only , 5200 W...I run it and then turn off the petcock till it runs out of gas....never had a problem with it
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Mines diesel. It has a pull start, no chance I'd be able to pull start it though. Had to jump it off of the truck or mower before. Use anti gel and algaecide treatments on stored fuel.

Ours is a duel fuel, but I run propane. Propane stores better.

Dispenser of the Haterade.

My generator is 8,000K. It will run the basics (lights, fans, frig, etc) in both shop/house. I disconnect well, water heater, high draw items while running it. I would be
    screwed on hot summer day, (particularly in shop where I hang out) as it would not handle central air unit. The shop would quickly become unbearable. I have given
    some thought to a whole house propane unit. I have two 500 gal tanks for house and 1,000 gal tank for shop, so have plenty of propane on hand.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    My generator is 8,000K. It will run the basics (lights, fans, frig, etc) in both shop/house. I disconnect well, water heater, high draw items while running it. I would be
    screwed on hot summer day, (particularly in shop where I hang out) as it would not handle central air unit. The shop would quickly become unbearable. I have given
    some thought to a whole house propane unit. I have two 500 gal tanks for house and 1,000 gal tank for shop, so have plenty of propane on hand.
    They are worth it if you have the propane capacity. We went for five days without power and that was it, household six demanded I get that prep or she was going back to the city. Do yourself a favor and have a small slab poured for it, and put a decent 4 post roof on it sort of like a wellhouse without walls. The housings on them are usually kind of fragile and the sun will take a toll on them. It makes it a lot easier to trim around and will help protect it form the elements a bit.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by fal_762x51 View Post
    Ours is a duel fuel, but I run propane. Propane stores better.

I KNOW diesel is loud, and if gas is anything like a lawnmower, it's loud too.

How's that propane on noise? Cos' the LAST thing I want, are zombies following the sound of my generator, in our hour of need...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -