Thread: Century Arms C308 muzzle break removal.

New Recruit Private

Century Arms C308 muzzle break removal.

I purchased a Century Arms C308 and want to make it closer to a CETME C. So I bought a surplus flash hider and want to use it to replace the muzzle break that Century puts on all the C308s. The issue I am having is, I donít know if the break thatís in the rifle is pinned/welded. I canít see any evidence if that being the case, but I want to be sure before I go wrenching on it.

Also, is the thread pattern lefty losey, righty tighty?

2EFB3034-F4FD-4464-947E-1C9C3D375123.jpg
    7E540837-88DC-41A5-BE8F-7645455270CA.jpeg
    196637AF-CAC2-44BC-96F5-8764C8252D2D.jpg
    2A46206F-C689-44D8-BD4B-331227FA6B07.jpg

I had the old style. I cut a couple slots through the sides and then split it open with a cold chisel.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

New Recruit Private
    Does mine seem to be pinned or welded in any way? Or is it impossible to tell from the pictures?

Senior Veteran
    Mine had the old style too, cut and split to remove. It was pinned but I couldn't tell from the top side of the paint. Smoothing off that pin was apparently the one thing CAI did well!

Its wasn't welded on my C308. They use a crush washer to index it just like AR's do. The gorillas at Century really put a torquing on mine, to the point where edges of the "chevron" port was rolled. I thought they'd used locktite too at first and went so far as to heat the brake but it still wouldn't break loose. I finally made up wood inserts for the vise that fit around the triple frame so I could clamp the rifle to hold it so i could use both hands on the wrench. I was worried about the thread adaptor that's spot welded to the muzzle coming loose before the brake did but with the help of a cheater bar and more heat it finally let go. No sense in them ham fisted gorillas tightening it that much.
    BTW, factory thread is right hand 5/8-24 UNEF so your original Cetme flash hider isnt gonna be a direct fit.
    I went back with an AR a2 birdcage. Made it a whole lot more pleasant to shoot and even reduced group size a tad.
    Last edited by Has Been; 03-20-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Has Been View Post
    BTW, factory thread is right hand 5/8-24 UNEF so your original Cetme flash hider isnt gonna be a direct fit.
    Good point.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Another thing to consider is, if anybody even pays this any attention anymore, going back with the original Cetme FH will drop your 922r parts count by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Mine had the old style too, cut and split to remove. It was pinned but I couldn't tell from the top side of the paint. Smoothing off that pin was apparently the one thing CAI did well!

I used a pipe cutter, to fix an "HK-911," back in the early '90's...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Has Been View Post
    Another thing to consider is, if anybody even pays this any attention anymore, going back with the original Cetme FH will drop your 922r parts count by 1.
    C308s are US made guns, are they not? I know they have some surplus parts in them, but the barrel, receiver, trigger pack, etc, is all US made.

They are made in USA from a mix of domestic and foreign made parts. They may have 922 compliant trigger packs now, I dont know. Mine, made in 2016, didnt.
    My point is, if you start swapping parts to make them more "original" you could easily end up with the ratio out of whack if you're not careful.
    It's not that big of deal right now, but in the near future when the anti gun liberals regain control on a federal level it's likely to be a different story.