Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stimulus Checks

I wouldn't trust a lawyer that says keep the money! I have seen cases where the "gument" came back years later and bill for back taxes,etc. The feds do not keep track of deaths..although it would not be too hard for local and state agencies to forward death info to them for benefits, etc. if they had a decent data sharing software system. The feds generally operate with the oldest, cheapest,data management systems available ....probably excel spreadsheets!
    Last edited by luigi; 05-14-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi View Post
    I wouldn't trust a lawyer that says keep the money! I have seen cases where the "gument" came back years later and bill for back taxes,etc. The feds do not keep track of deaths..although it would not be too hard for local and state agencies to forward death info to them for benefits, etc. if they had a decent data sharing software system. The feds generally operate with the oldest, cheapest,data management systems available ....probably excel spreadsheets!
    I didn't know they had excel in the 1970's....

This discussion has been helpful actually. I have zero intention of cashing or depositing that check. I was worried initially about what to do with it, not trusting them to figure out and keep record of its return since they can't seem to do the same with death certs, but after it has "VOID" written on it, it's just paper and I don't care if they lose it or not. I'll keep a photo copy of the check and the letter I send with it.

If they screw us on the refund owed, that's on them. While the extra cash is useful, I'd rather be poor and still able to distinguish right from wrong.

Jdowney

In the '80's I think the first one I used was a Lotus 1-2-3 program on a green monochrome sperry univac ?? LOL