Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "conundrum" Super Rare Sporterized Arisaka Type 38

Now that you can see its way too far gone to be restored,.... I was going to adapt a Timney Trigger that came with a bunch of gun parts a few years ago, I think it's for a 95 Mauser. But it looks like it might adapt fairly easily ( Hate to admit it, But I built a lot sporters over the years, So I have a lot of experience )... As mentioned, I've pretty much ignored any Arasakas.

So here's my question,... The Timney Trigger will eliminate the need for the big ugly bolt safety,... Have any of you ever seen a sporter replacement (or custom made) Arasake Bolt sleeve to eliminate the original safety ?...

Plans are for adding the Timney Trigger, Hopefully replacing the original safety, Removing the Marble sights (saving them for another rifle), I'll be making up a "Scout Style" scope mount, And I have a nice old vintage Burris pistol scope to put on it. I have a 6.5 Sweed in this configuration and it's one of my favorite rifles....

Thoughts ?
    A Sinner saved by Grace,... EPH. 2: 8-9

" So here's my question,... The Timney Trigger will eliminate the need for the big ugly bolt safety,... Have any of you ever seen a sporter replacement (or custom made) Arasake Bolt sleeve to eliminate the original safety ?..."

I contacted some of my friends that have been around longer than me and one replied so far with this: " I have seen a custom replacement safety but to do it you reduce the original safety and in doing so you take away the very reason it's so big and round and covers the whole back of the bolt. It was designed to block gas blow back from a ruptured primer or case. The big round rear end shields the shooter face from get blasted by gas and particle's. If you've ever shot an 03 you will know what I'm talking about as an 03 will spray you good. I know it's happen to me on both rifles and the Japs handle it much better. Mauser 98 have a large flange to stop this from happening it's just a bit further up the bolt. "
    Last edited by metrotps; 05-13-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    Our Government, "If we didn't have mis-management we wouldn't have any management at all"