Thread: Preparing for hurricane season, so I think I might need a tank...

New Recruit

Preparing for hurricane season, so I think I might need a tank...

No really... a water tank. I'm trying to come up with a solid idea for water storage for up to a month for 6 people, up to 30 chickens, and two pigs.

I've looked at a few different options, but I'm not sure what would be easiest.

So far I've looked at the 55gal blue drums, but I'd probably need a dozen of them. I've also looked at those large cube shaped liquid food containers (I think they ship glue in them too, but the ones I saw had ranch in them), steel 55gal drums (not really an option), and old water heater tanks. I'm also looking for ideas for intake filters as I'll mostly be collecting rainwater.

Somewhat in line with this, I want to attach an irrigation system to the tanks so I can rotate out the water in order to keep it full up with fresh - would gravity alone push the water laterally a distance of 150ft, and if so, how high up should the drop be, or would I need a pump to run a couple 25ft runs of drip/soaker line at the end of the line?

Thanks in advance, pics of your setup or ideas are welcome.

How elaborate do you want to get and how much are you looking to spend? $3000 or so will get you a new 1000 gallon poly nurse tank on a trailer with a gas powered 100 gpm transfer pump, that way it can be towed to wherever its needed and the pump can be used to fill or empty the tank. If portability is not a factor the tank by itself it around $600 give or take. The trans pump runs about $350.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    Somewhat in line with this, I want to attach an irrigation system to the tanks so I can rotate out the water in order to keep it full up with fresh - would gravity alone push the water laterally a distance of 150ft, and if so, how high up should the drop be, or would I need a pump to run a couple 25ft runs of drip/soaker line at the end of the line?
    Generally, gravity will do it with short runs of open pipe, but it won't always be fast.

10 feet of height is something like 5 psi in static pressure. You could probably do it without a pump, but you would need open ends rather than drip and you have to do a lot of figuring for pipe diameter (bigger pipe, less friction loss).

Keep in mind the need for a vent in the tanks so thet will gravity feed. Agricultural type drip tape needs 5-7 psi to meter properly and tests have showed the water tanks need to be at least 18' off the ground in order to get the necessary pressure. The dollar store type drip hoses dont gravity feed very good either. Some dont even water evenly under pressure.
    Last edited by Has Been; 05-07-2020 at 09:00 AM.

I use blue drums. I fill them with rain water. I put some vinegar in each to cut down on things growing.

My dogs drink one to two gallons of water per day. I put a 1/4 cup of vinegar in their water every day as it makes the dog toxic to fleas.

I have a pond so water is not a issue.

Swiming pool.
    If its to bright....call ELLIOT LUCAS.!

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Has Been View Post
    How elaborate do you want to get and how much are you looking to spend? $3000 or so will get you a new 1000 gallon poly nurse tank on a trailer with a gas powered 100 gpm transfer pump, that way it can be towed to wherever its needed and the pump can be used to fill or empty the tank. If portability is not a factor the tank by itself it around $600 give or take. The trans pump runs about $350.
    This is going to be a LOW budget build. As much salvage and cheaper material as possible. Mostly PVC.

Thanks for those tips and especially about the vent, I hadn't factored that into my plan.

I'm looking at some blue drums now. Right now my height limit is 7' so gravity feed is out of the picture lol

The size of the vent needs to be larger size than the bottom outlet ( if you put a screen on the vent to keep the bugs out of your tank ).
    Seen chlorox bleach added to maintain residual chlorine for disinfection. Dark color tank keep UV light out and algae from growing in tank.
    Last edited by luigi; 05-10-2020 at 09:43 AM.