Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger 57 compare w/FN herstal

ruger 57 compare w/FN herstal

Lets dive right into this. Those of us who love 5.7... love 5.7. Those who dont? probably dont have one.

Backwoodsguns (a member here on the site) hooked me up with a Ruger57. He also hooked me up with my first FN Herstal 5.7 in 2002 & thats the gun we will compare with.

First impressions of the Ruger:

Its THINNER than the FN from side to side. not just the slide, but the body & grip as well. The grip is not as agressively stippled as the FN. It actually fits a little better in my average sized hands. Front to back on the grip is the same distance but by being thinner you do get a touch more wrap around of your fingers on it.

Its longer than the FN in OAL. Just enough that you can easily see it.

Fully loaded it feels exactly the same weight in hand. if theres any difference? its too slight to tell.

shooting it has a good impluse & drives back into your hand instead of muzzle flipping. seems to have a pretty good weight/bore distribution. what weight it does have to it seems more bottom of the frame centered & magwell spread.

double tapping with it (a strong point of the FN) is just as easy & it has great sites. the rears dont have the glow dots like the FN, but the front glow site is nice.

those metal magazines: lot has been made over the metal mags vs the FN plastic ones. Honestly? i think the FN mag is better. They are a good plastic/poly & work flawlessly. These metal Ruger mags are very thin & while they fed perfectly, they are razor fukn sharp & will be very easy to cut yourself on when your pressing those last few rounds in there, cause they are STIFF!

so now about shooting it?

did a quick 5 minute 50round run thru. Well it was fast after i changed ammo.

ive got 3 different reloads done by Members here & they function perfect in the FN, P90 & the Banshee. They would NOT run in the Ruger. the first round would fire every time then nothing until you hand cycled & reset the hammer. these are very experienced reloaders with 5.7 & they are NOT hot. Maybe its still just too tight & stiff, so will try them again after the break in.

switched over to FN 40grain standard load & American Eagle 40 grain FMJ. Ruger ran flawless on both of these with perfect mag dumps. (of course the FN did as well) the mags were set up with 20 AE, 20 FN, 5AE, 5FN staggered. this was done with both guns & i alternated shooting them by the mag runs.

target at this distance was just 4x4's on my back stop & was at 25' Its basically impossible to miss with a 5.7 at this distance & point n shoot. both guns hit every round.

im not the worlds best target shooter & havent ever been capable of tiny MOA groups no matter what i shoot.
    Dont have a holster for it yet & want more trigger time before really making a end of world decision on it.

but the first looks at it are that its very very comparable with the FN & its half the money.

when shooting this guy? Think of it as a PMR30 in your hand. it looks very similar & same principle applies. grip it like you mean it so that it doest buck around & enjoy the heck out of shooting it.

20200514_170643(1).jpg20200514_170720(1).jpg
    20200514_170802(1).jpg20200514_170822(1).jpg
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Yes this is a C&P of my post at WG... still good info & still current to something going on.

Senior Veteran
    I have been looking very hard at one of these Ruger 57's. I have shot my FIL's FNH 57 and love it. From all of the reviews I have read, most say that the safety is much easier to manipulate on the Ruger. What do you think on that?

Thanks for posting this review!

Edit: I have also read the Ruger does not like re-loads much, but works flawlessly with factory ammo.
    Last edited by scottz63; 05-14-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Scott,

had that FN for a really long time.... & practice made the safety a non issue, dont even think about it being "different" now days unless someone points it out & reminds me. :-)

the Ruger safety is fine where its at & is an easy flip. to get any speed though? gonna need to get a holster & get some practice time from holster to mounted & back.

it really does remind you of shooting a PMR30.

Senior Veteran
    I might end up getting me one of these. Besides being about half the price of the FNH, the Ruger looks much better as well. IMHO, the FNH 57 is fugly.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I might end up getting me one of these. Besides being about half the price of the FNH, the Ruger looks much better as well. IMHO, the FNH 57 is fugly.
    Glad I was not the only one...
    Some people are like a slinky...

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.

Thanks for the write up. Its on my list of handguns to get my daughter to try now after seeing how slim it is compared to the FN. If it works out it will pair well with her PS90.
    COG# 1987

Shibby,

my daughter also loves her PS90. its her home defense gun & stay on her dresser.

she likes the feel of the Ruger in her hand better than the FN. BUT she still thinks its too big for her hand for companion carry.

Makes sense. My daughter is still a tween so my quest for stuff that fits her is more in line with keeping her interested and keeping the experience of going shooting enjoyable for her. If that means a new piece of hardware that "fits" as she grows and becomes more proficient then thats money well spent in my book.
    COG# 1987

Quote Originally Posted by shibbykins View Post
    Makes sense. My daughter is still a tween so my quest for stuff that fits her is more in line with keeping her interested and keeping the experience of going shooting enjoyable for her. If that means a new piece of hardware that "fits" as she grows and becomes more proficient then thats money well spent in my book.
    ^^^^ exactly. whatever keeps her interested. & if you have to buy a new toy for that? so be it. when she tires of new toy? its yours! then you buy her another one!