Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ruger 57 compare w/FN herstal

Great review SDK, I am still yet to handle the Ruger and not sure when I might. I like what you say about the safety on the FN 57. If you use it much it will become almost natural. To bad the reloads don't work. But now you know. How about the mags do they interchange? That would be a plus but I,m thinking they don't. Now for those that think the FN 57 is fugly, that is like in the eye of the beholder, I could go along with a little homely, but fugly is just a bit to strong.
    Last edited by 7.62guy; 05-17-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Sorry about the fugly, perhaps a bit too strong. I'll concede with homely.

I've just never liked the way they look, since way back when they first came out.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I'm just messing around with you guys here. You'll never hear me say it's a pretty pistol, because it's not. Pretty pistols are blued steel and have wood stocks.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

ha ha...

well its not a well done review... it was just a throw together, instant thought review from my first look while it was all still fresh in the brain.

no my FN is not a "pretty" gun. what it is== is an absolute fantastic gun. even with the over rough grip, that is a point & shoot double tap machine. Its been flawless right out of the box for the entire time ive had it. several thousand rounds thru it. no change in function or accuracy.

now about the ruger57: put another 50 rounds thru it, so im up to 100 now. it likes the FN & AMerican Eagle stuff just fine. evidently the primers in that factory stuff are a little softer than the primers my reloaders have purchased.

its just as much of a dead on shooter & double tapper as the FN. the weight IS a bit lower in your hand, its not as "top heavy". Its loosened up a good bit on the springs & action. figured it would. lubed it with L-0158 which is a bit thick for a NIB gun... but its what i use & it will have to get used to it. :-)

NO the mags will not interchange. from a distance they look close to the same, but the ridges are not in the same spot. i still think the FN mag is probably a better mag, just because you wont cut yourself on it & while its not happened YET? You could cut yourself on these Ruger mags real easy. the feed lips remeind you of a 30 carbine magazine. thin & sharp.

sticking with my original statement that for $600ish this is gonna be a awesome gun vs the $1200+ on the FN's. will give this a few hundred more rounds before really deciding if they have a shot at overtaking FN or not. any way it goes for this price range this gun is a winner.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.