Thread: Baking holsters

Baking holsters

I got a NOS Hungarian FEG PA63 holster today. It was covered in a white dust and had black spots here and there. The 'dust' brushed off pretty well but the black spots hung on. Looking for advice on google, I found a guy who had some holsters that looked the same. I was on youtube now. He had a friend who gave him advice, and I tried it too. Preheat the oven to 250*. Place the holster on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove and let cool. He recommended 15 minutes, which is what I did. No more white dust, no more black spots. The heat gets into all the tiny areas we can't reach. The holsters that aren't holding guns in them are in 1 gallon plastic food bags that have zipper closures. This holster is for a Savage 380acp pistol. LOL. Makarov holsters fit all kinds of small older pistols too. I have a wide variety of old mostly eastern bloc holsters to fit guns never meant for them.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran
    That is a cool tip to know, but....

Next time the wife makes cookies they're going to taste like an 80 year old eastern block warehouse!

I always loved the smell of a surplus store, but my wife hates that odor for some reason

heat hardens leather. not sure of the exact holster your talking about, but if it has a flap, or any "moving" parts, it MAY cause them to crack/fail prematurely, depending on the condition of the leather. id be wary of trying this with any rare/highly desirable articles, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    I always loved the smell of a surplus store, but my wife hates that odor for some reason
    Smells like "SPENT money" to her...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    Smells like "SPENT money" to her...
    heheh - yeah, I spend a little on what cost the .gov a lot!

Its like potpourri for guys.... like Hobby Lobby smells to her

The holsters I used did not lose any suppleness. Maybe due to the short time and low heat. The stuff - fungus? - was gone inside and out. Most of my old holsters are cold war flap types, not rare but some are getting harder to find. I had leather care stuff on hand just in case. Thanks for your concerns. I did use a new cookie sheet (shhhh) and there was no smell. After it cooled I washed it just to be safe.
    I once tried to heat something using one of my wife's cast off cookie sheets that gets chemical baths in the garage. It took a couple of hours to clear that smell from the house. LOL.
    Here in the desert leather dries over time, but it takes quite a while. At least for me. I mean my leather stuff.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!