Thread: Almost a good idea.... M70...

Almost a good idea.... M70...

Had the bright idea to do a milled Yugoslavian M70 underfolder reweld, it's gotten a little out of hand & getting worse. I blame my own inattention to detail for this.

Picked up a super nice M70 kit with a nice single cut receiver. Numbers matching, except for the receiver. Turned out that the parts kit was for a stamped receiver, except for the stock. And I was bummed out about it. But I saw opportunity with it.

I dont like shooting 7.62x39mm in an underfolder, painful kinda quickly & uncomfortable. Already done an ak74 underfolder. Didnt like it. So why not try for good ole 5.56x45mm, I've got bunches of galil parts and mags sitting around. Just needed a barrel.

Managed to get in on a group buy of custom made yugo barrels over on the files & it is slick.

Anyways, probably the most accurate ak I've ever shot. Still fine tuning the recoil spring yet. Runs steel case great bits is a bit iffy with brass.

And here where it goes sideways. I still dont like shooting the underfolder. The butt is just too wide. So I've picked up a galil rear stub. I'll be welding that on & running a galil stack. I like those, a lot. Then I'll be adding a standard Soviet side optics rail & have ordered a kashtan to plop on top.

So more to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VERY nice. As an M70AB owner, it really is a great "truck gun," as with the underfolder, it fits WELL in trucks; and as it is unpleasant to shoot, it motivates you to get back home to your BETTER rifles!
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    That looks great! Nice job so far. Looking forward to updates.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Great to see the work on it - keep us posted on the changes
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Looks good, looked at the single saw cut receivers but my inner cheap bastard won out and went with the front and back stubs. With the extra lockdown time I dug out a few of the old kits and have been doing milled yugo reweld builds. Have another M70 receiver and a M64 underfolder that I haven't started on yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh trust me, I didnt pay for the receiver. Traded for it. I dont like to do something so base as to actually "buy" a gun. I expect to get paid to take it off someone's hands

I've never used the receiver repair sections like that. They work well?

When you get to the M64, I recommend the ak-builder screw in barrel. It what I went with on my fixed stock M64. Documented in the gunsmith subforum here. It's a sweet shooter & theres no barrel pin where there shouldn't be.

I made those sideplates out of 3/8"x2" bar stock about 7 years ago. They're more work but the hardest part about using them is cleaning up the welds afterwards. I cheat and use an endmill and woodruff cutter to clean up within a couple thousands on the inside and outside then blend whats left with a die grinder. Those were the last two sets so I'll have to make some more pretty soon including the ones for the M64. I've been looking at the AK Builder M64 barrel. If I've got a usable blank I just might make one, if not that's likely the route I'll go.
    Last edited by Moleman; 06-26-2020 at 05:23 PM.

If you turn one yourself, I've got a good factory Zastava barrel I could loan you for a pattern.

Truly jealous of being able to make your own repair plates. A good mill is the next purchase for my little fab business. Unfortunately it's always a balancing act with money in & money out.