Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new toy - New in box ORIGINAL Browning Auto 5

Veteran

My new toy - New in box ORIGINAL Browning Auto 5

I have never owned a shotgun. I've wanted one for a long time, and could never justify it. Defense? Eh, I have the Jericho, and if shit gets hairy, I have the AR. Hunting? I never hunt! I love trap though, and only just recently did I realize basically everyone in my new social circles is super into trap sports.
    So bingo. Shotgun for triple-paycheck-month.

Trouble is, I'm an insufferable hipster who has to have his cake and eat it too. My firearms need to check both the "weird" and "practical" boxes. It's why the AR always feels like a chore to shoot.

So a buddy of mine informs me that there's a couple of literally new-in-box Auto-5's at this little hole in the wall about an hour south of me.
    28" barrel, light twelve configuration, checkered, complete with the delightful floral scrollwork engraving. You can call me effete if you like, but remember that I'm the one holding the automatic shotgun.

I dated this one to 1989. Knew when I held it that I needed to have it in my life. Ended up dropping $750 on it. Didn't help that another friend's Auto-5 was the only shotgun I could ever reliably hit anything with at the trap range, and to boot, was the only 12ga that I could shoot all day without feeling sore or tired the next morning. Can't do the big magnum shells, but I've never needed to, and if I'm in a situation where I need to knock down an animal that nasty, I'd hope I had my CETME with twenty rounds on tap instead of four plus one in a shotgun anyway.

IMG_20200708_162654756.jpg
    New in box. Nary a wear mark in sight, complete with 1980's cosmoline film.

IMG_20200708_162726370.jpg
    This thing literally hadn't ever even been fully assembled. There was cosmoline in the tracks where the barrel extension runs. Cleaned up beautifully.

IMG_20200708_163249332.jpg
    Guns after 1976 were made by Miroku. Ironic then that the faint imperfections in the engraving are what charmed me the most about this specific firearm.

IMG_20200708_162931226.jpg
    All of the original accoutrements. Manual, instructions, registration card, right down to the Invector choke sticker on the barrel.

IMG_20200708_165552373.jpg
    So far as I know, this was the first time this firearm had ever been assembled fully. It was kind of a moment for me.

The sight rib on the top of the barrel isn't on quite straight. I doubt I'm going to get a warranty service on it, but I'm not really concerned. The barrel itself is perfectly fine. Action components need a little bit of use to break in. Cleaned it up, used a Q-tip and a spare silicone cloth with some CLP to remove the cosmo from places I didn't want it, then cleaned the magazine tube, cleaned the oxidization out of the friction rings, and oiled it up.

I will be taking it out to play this Sunday.

Looks good. Always nice to have something fun to shoot that won't beat you to death
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Very nice score. I've got my grandfather's made in 1928 and on the third split fore grip. I've tried all of the settings and managed to get recoil down to mule kick levels with field loads.... Needless to say it only gets fired about every 10 years.... Totally reliable and a killing machine though... on both ends. I do love looking at it and fondling it though. My father and grandfather both used it as I do and would never consider parting with the old beauty.
    Hold it tightly tucked in and good fortune.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Very nice! That thing is pretty.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Schweet! NEXT stop - Benelli!

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

The bluing on that thing is pretty phenomenal!!

Humpbacks are objects of love and admiration. I was amazed as a kid that JMB used the recoil to send the barrel back into the bolt to work the action.
    I am jealous of the choke system & the box you've got in the deal, also of the fact that you don't have to be watchful of the shot you feed it.... I've some shottys which can have no steel.... I'd take yours to dinner and a movie for sure.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Veteran
    Jbruney -
    That's a cool thing to have!
    I would recommend replacing both of the friction rings and cleaning the magazine tube, that might could decelerate the barrel's rearward travel and let that old timer ride again.

Combloc -
    I was blown away by it! I mean, it's brand new in box, sure, but I would have at least expected a little surface corrosion. Makes me swoon. What a beauty!

Jbruney again -
    Oh, this one is definitely my new sweetheart.
    Like, my other guns? They all have an interesting history all to themselves. They are cool independent of me.
    The Webley and the Tokarev? Built to kill NAZIs. Both surplus.
    The CETME? Built to kill communists. Surplus parts.
    The PSL? Built because the Romanians refused to play along with evil Soviet imperialism and got cut off from technical assistance. Surplus parts.
    The Jericho? Built to arm police to protect innocent lives against radical fundamentalists. Straight up turn-in. Magnificent weapon.

THey're all tired, but proud, old warriors.

But this one?
    She's a blank slate. Invented because three Mormon boys were bored and decided hunting was too much work. No baggage. She's been waiting since 1989 for someone to love her, and hell, so have I. XD
    Last edited by Redtail; 07-10-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Veteran
    I'm gonna have to get y'all a picture of the figuring on this stock. THis thing is really special. And I got it at the very bottom end of the value of a used one in good condition. I almost feel a little guilty. Almost.
    Last edited by Redtail; 07-10-2020 at 06:00 PM.

thats way too nice to take out & go to town with it...

put that in your display case & get a Benelli to do your fun shooting.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.