Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new toy - New in box ORIGINAL Browning Auto 5

Wow! Nice score! I'm a tad bit jealous.

Veteran
    Welp, after working the initial kinks out, the thing ran like a Swiss watch. Initial kinks consisting of a small rock stuck in one of the roll pin races inside the action. Weird, sure, but not a showstopper.

Something that may be, however:
    It took an inordinate amount of force to get the stock screw out. And I'm not talking "I gorfed it up because I used the wrong screwdriver", I mean that it took a custom made screwdriver and about 80 pounds of downward pressure to turn the screw for the entire way and it appears that it may have been crossthreaded on inspection, as several of the threads inside the section on the receiver that the screw goes into appear to have been damaged.

I'm guessing this isn't something that Browning is servicing under warranty anymore?

Time to search for a tap and new screw.... It could have galled when assembled, but that's a moot point after all of these years.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Veteran
    Screw is fine! Threads are great. The threads in the hole are the problem. It's not a size I'm familiar with though, I definitely don;'t have a tap for it. I am a little concerned I might have to drill and helicoil it. Not a huge deal, I'll modify the cradle I made to support it during disassembly in order to hold it at the right angle in my drill press if I have to. Not gonna bubba such a magnificent specimen with a Dremel.

Could probably just tap it as it is, but I'm not sure I like that solution long-term. Maybe I'll try that first and try the helicoil next. DO they even make helicoils in that super-ridiculously-fine gun screw thread size?

Veteran
    So, if anyone is wondering, it *looks* like the threads on this thing are 1/4x40TPI. I'll be experimenting with this soon. Likely going to order the correct sized tap from McMaster this weekend and double check it against the screw before running it in there. They have a bottom chamfer set that should do nicely for my purposes and it's only like $25.

Lots of obscure threads used on firearms.... including Whitworth of all things. Wonders never cease.
    Joe
    COG#1453