Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plate carrier recommendations

Looks like these rma plates are about the best deal? https://rmadefense.com/product/level...odel-1155-set/

Single curve level 4 for 125 each after discount code. Are multi curve better for for more comfort? Being larger an 11x14 plate would be better though.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Looks like these rma plates are about the best deal? https://rmadefense.com/product/level...odel-1155-set/

Single curve level 4 for 125 each after discount code. Are multi curve better for for more comfort? Being larger an 11x14 plate would be better though.
    Plates really need to be properly sized to your build, especially if you go multi curve. I've run both types and honestly I won't pay the extra for multi curve, to me it's just not that big a difference. One thing to watch out for when running oversized plates for your build is that they tend to end up using a carrier that might be too big for you and end up sliding down leaving critical areas exposed.

RMA plates are darn good if you absolutely have to go US made, and those 1155s are going to protect you to Level IV or RF3, which is up to 30-06 AP. If weight is no issue then that is what I would spend my money on.

After watching the lab test vids we ordered and shot one of the $130 Miltech alumina Level III+'s multiple times with different calibers and never got full penetration. When I first heard about them I was in the same mindset - "I ain't trusting my life to some Chinese made junk". Putting those rounds into it changed my mind.
    Last edited by Arkane; 07-15-2020 at 07:02 AM.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    Plates really need to be properly sized to your build, especially if you go multi curve. I've run both types and honestly I won't pay the extra for multi curve, to me it's just not that big a difference. One thing to watch out for when running oversized plates for your build is that they tend to end up using a carrier that might be too big for you and end up sliding down leaving critical areas exposed.

RMA plates are darn good if you absolutely have to go US made, and those 1155s are going to protect you to Level IV or RF3, which is up to 30-06 AP. If weight is no issue then that is what I would spend my money on.

After watching the lab test vids we ordered and shot one of the $130 Miltech alumina Level III+'s multiple times with different calibers and never got full penetration. When I first heard about them I was in the same mindset - "I ain't trusting my life to some Chinese made junk". Putting those rounds into it changed my mind.
    It looks like the many videos on YouTube that shoot the plates side by side show the rma, battle steel, and Militech are all about the same, the rma being a little thicker and heavier look to take a little more abuse on multiple hits before failing. Short of ammo only available to the military it stops everything except for very high power rounds with tungsten or super high velocity that would very rarely if ever be encountered. with my chest size and wide shoulders i really need an 11x14 plate. it looks like the only option is Militech which are out of stock. seems RMA only makes 10x12.

As low cost as the groin protector flap are I’m considering getting one of those too. I’m not seeing anything that would protect the shoulders. I think a helmet is likely overkill, as a shot to the face and your done.
    Last edited by kevin; 07-15-2020 at 02:22 PM.

yeah I meant BAO not boa. sorry about that. So I donno how tech capable you are but reddit has a gundeals page reddit.com/r/gundeals that people post good deals on. Boady armor pops up fairly regularly which is convenient. The really nice thing about that specific subreddit is the comments sections are a treasure trove of information and the mods team have a list of bad vendors thats always kept upto date.
    COG# 1987

did you guys buy your militech plates through allieexpress website? its working where i could order now the 11x17 plates i need...

Veteran
    I use a Condor Exo carrier. It's perfectly fine. In the 6-7 or so years I've used it for competitive shooting, airsoft, and blankfire play, it has never once spontaneously disintegrated as so many will tell you. Though if you're a bigger guy like me I recommend skipping the steel and going for a hybrid composite poly/ceramic plate in 11x14. Alumina is cheaper but a little heavier. Silicon carbide is notably lighter but notably more expensive. I'm a fan of the plates that use a mosaic permanently bonded to a UHMWPE layer with a foam backface pad. Mosaic plates have a wider margin on them, but that's why you go with the 11x14. Still weighs less than the 10x12 steel and carries potentially a better threat protection level. Little less multi-hit capable, but if you're taking more than 3-4 hits in a row and you're not behind cover immediately, you can bet the next one is headed for your face or your dick. They literally weigh half as much and won't throw spall and chunks of truck bed liner in your face if it has to soak up a few rounds.