Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New Saiga 308

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    16

    New Saiga 308

    hey all!!

    I'm currently looking to purchase a converted saiga 308-1. I found one its a little expensive at 1500 but I don't think I'll have the chance to buy one in the future.

    I know mags are can be an issue so if anyone can point me int he right direction for that it would be great but thats not my main question.

    Its a 16 inch converted saiga with ak74brake. Owner says it functions great and hasn't been used much since he bought it. It looks good. Only.usage makes are the safety as all aks.

    Can you convince me not to buy it????

  2. #2
    Senior Veteran jbruney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    357
    If you like/want/need/desire/lust for it..... By God then buy and enjoy because it needs a good home... Keep it off the streets... You may be the only person who can save it from a terrible fate. On the other hand 1500 seems kinda steep, but I'm out of the Saiga loop by a few years and do know no others are coming so the price falls into the above list.
    Joe
    COG#1453

  3. #3
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLM
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    409
    If you want a x51/.308 AK get it. If you're looking for utility then do some deep research. Years ago the Army and FN did a study and found that you really need at least a 17 1/4" barrel to get what they considered acceptable performance out of the M80 round. The other issue is optic mounting. Mags, well you know about that issue.

    If money was no issue and I wanted an AK platform in that caliber for utility I'd go with the Galil Ace. Myself I decided to go with the M&P10 and it's replaced my FALs as my go to rifle.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

  4. #4
    Senior Veteran
    oldrifle72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    257
    Rep Power
    152
    Arkane, I have been looking at the M&P 10 for a while now and was wondering if there are any problems or issues that I would need to address? It looks like a pretty good platform and I love S&W. I already have a couple of their ar rifles in 5.56. How reliable is the 308 version?

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    If you want a x51/.308 AK get it. If you're looking for utility then do some deep research. Years ago the Army and FN did a study and found that you really need at least a 17 1/4" barrel to get what they considered acceptable performance out of the M80 round. The other issue is optic mounting. Mags, well you know about that issue.

    If money was no issue and I wanted an AK platform in that caliber for utility I'd go with the Galil Ace. Myself I decided to go with the M&P10 and it's replaced my FALs as my go to rifle.
    I have an M&P 10 as well as a aero ar10 with 20" barrel i like them both alot. My.M&P has significant big wear after 500 rounds so i may be sending to S&W for a warranty check up.

    I bought it as I do not have an ak platform in that caliber and the seller told me he was upset that it didn't sell for higher and believes I was getting a great rifle for the price.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrifle72 View Post
    Arkane, I have been looking at the M&P 10 for a while now and was wondering if there are any problems or issues that I would need to address? It looks like a pretty good platform and I love S&W. I already have a couple of their ar rifles in 5.56. How reliable is the 308 version?
    I have a m&p 10 and love it. It convinced me to build another ar10. It shoots very reliably and accurately.

    I would suggest a break in period with heavier gr bullets i put at least 100 175gr PPU rounds through it before anything else and it shoots anything reliably. 145g,149g,168g, old surplus etc.

    It did have some feeding issue in the first 20rds but that disappeared when I stopped using the ASC mag and I only use magpul or Lancer mags for it now.

  7. #7
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLM
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitche06 View Post
    I have an M&P 10 as well as a aero ar10 with 20" barrel i like them both alot. My.M&P has significant big wear after 500 rounds so i may be sending to S&W for a warranty check up.

    I bought it as I do not have an ak platform in that caliber and the seller told me he was upset that it didn't sell for higher and believes I was getting a great rifle for the price.
    I've got about 1500 or so rounds through mine so far with no extraordinary wear. FWIW where they could S&W used standard AR15 parts. The majority of the rest is DPMS pattern (and compatible with PSA). The only thnig I've seen so far that is totally proprietary is the gas block and tube, which is a middie +1, and the bolt catch/mag release levers. FWIW - I do not run steel cased ammo through these. The will accelerate barrel wear, and in the 5R rifled barrel it happens a bit faster.

    +100 on the magpul mags. That's all I run in Ar platforms.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

  8. #8
    Senior Veteran sdk1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,285
    Rep Power
    379
    if you want the Saiga? then buy it.

    now if you just want a good SA 308 thats in that price range? buy the FN!! its a better gun. (& YES im a huge Saiga fan)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

  9. #9
    Senior Veteran HKaltwasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dripping Springs,Tx -Just west of weird
    Posts
    1,428
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitche06 View Post
    hey all!!

    I'm currently looking to purchase a converted saiga 308-1. I found one its a little expensive at 1500 but I don't think I'll have the chance to buy one in the future.

    I know mags are can be an issue so if anyone can point me int he right direction for that it would be great but thats not my main question.

    Its a 16 inch converted saiga with ak74brake. Owner says it functions great and hasn't been used much since he bought it. It looks good. Only.usage makes are the safety as all aks.

    Can you convince me not to buy it????
    If that's what you want, I say go for it. I've had two Saiga 308's in the past and wouldn't mind having another. I bought my first one for 269.00 new at the gun show. Those were the days.

    If memory serves me right CSSPEC makes mags I believe.

    I won't convince you not to buy it, unless it has a fugly M4 stock on it . If it has a Galil stock then get itttttttt!

Similar Threads

  1. Saiga .308
    By Buckshot in forum Others
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 06:32 PM
  2. saiga
    By hoyt in forum AK-47/74
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
  3. saiga 12
    By jets in forum AK-47/74
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
  4. my 308 saiga
    By turbothis in forum Build it Yourself/Gunsmithing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM
  5. Saiga 410
    By Milsurp in forum Shotguns
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •