Thread: Up on two wheels again!

Up on two wheels again!

It’s been close to two years since I’ve been up on two wheels both my bikes were unfinished projects and went away Sunday Night.

They have however been replaced by a suitable bike - one that I hope to continue to fide well into my 70s! Jhelum, Don’t laugh I’ll be 70 in less then 2 years!

When I first read about my new bike I had to at least go look at it; the wife said no new bike until you get rid of the other two... bye bye; what were they again?

Enter “The Beast of Berlin” my new bike; a 2021 BMW R-18 with design influences based on their Pre-War Model R-15. Yesterday morning the crate was opened in the shop and my new bike, a BMW Model R-18 saw the morning of the San Antonio Sun.

I had an eye exam in the AM so I went and did the paperwork before lunch and then had my wife drive me to “Alamo BMW” http://www.alamopowersports.com so I could ride it home. Talk about a flashback; almost 30 years ago, on a 1977 BMW R60/7 (600 cc) my first ride was during rush hour on Hwy 90 aka the “Riverside Freeway” near Lakewood, CA! Yesterday was no different; East on I-10 East on Loop 1604 during a typical evening rush hour! Lots of waves, thumbs up, and a few “looks cool but what Is it?”

So - here it is, marked on the Speedometer “Made in Berlin” my personal “Beast of Berlin”!

The BMW is show with it’s Pretty-War Design inspiration the Model R-15. The R-18’s 1,802 cc engine is BMW’S biggest bike engine they’ve ever made; developing 91 h.p. And approximately 116 ft lb of torque. The Beast is equipped integrated dual front and single rear disc ABS Disc Brakes; a must have for three different computer controlled riding modes: Rain - for wet streets a for milder ; Roll - a bit more aggressive power scale; and Rock - twist the throttle and hold on! Not that the acceleration is wimpy in the Rain an Roll setting; but that Rock is full beast mode.

So far I’m the 5th registered owner of an R-18 here in the greater San Antonio area. So far I’ve only put only put 45 miles on mine but that will change!
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

absolutely fantastic! Awesomeness abounds

LOVE it
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Senior Veteran
    Awesome bike! Congrats!

I like that old Model R-15 as well.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I saw this somewhere a long time ago. BMW has been behind touring the world for many years... Very nice machine you've bought into. Have fun and be careful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbruney; 11-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Joe
    COG#1453

I believe that pre-war model in an R5. I had a Euro version of the R75/5. Great machine.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

To continue the favorable response I'll add that Beemers are fascinating machines, and that kraut beastie should handle whatever you set before it. My BIL drove an '80 R100RT straight off of the showroom floor in San Antonio to New Foundland with no doubts or issues besides the gas tank requiring occasional filling. I wouldn't trust any other untried scooter to complete the trip in 3 days trouble free.
    Joe
    COG#1453