Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It has gotten quiet aroind here.

It has gotten quiet aroind here.

My farm and my brother's adjacent farm are what I call hill top farms. We have no next door (fence line) neighbors (and never will have due to terrain). You can not see any other homes from
    where w live, again due to distance, trees and terrain.The area is rural, but a fair population. of individual home-sites. Sound travels well from these hill tops and thru the valleys.

Anyway we have always had some shooters around us. It is sometimes hard to judge the direction and distance, but over time become familiar with their shooting patterns. There are those
    that will go out for a few hrs every couple of weeks and shoot for an hr or two. Then there are those that make a weekly activity of trying to burn thru as many rds a they can. It is mostly
    all pistols and apparently trying to impress the buddy or buddies almost always shoot rapid fire. They could do it for hrs on end.

My brother and I would talk about how in the heck they had the money to buy so much ammo, but ammo was fairly cheap and easy to find.

Anyway it has gotten quieter and quieter over the months and I can not recall hearing anyone around us doing any shooting at all for the last couple of months. I am sure the ammo shortage
    and prices has shut them up.

Story: Before my brother bought the land next to me he had a couple with kids living a mile or so from his old place. He said they did not have anything. He only met the husband a couple of times
    face to face. Said we was a small guy and would not hardly talk to him. The guy's wife came to my brother's place every so often asking if he could give her some food items, maybe some gasoline, etc. Also
    if he would brush hog their lawn with his tractor as their mower had been broke for months. Meanwhile her husband spent every Saturday and Sunday for hours on end shooting his handgun.
    Money for ammo, but not to take care of his family or place.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Same story at our gun club. See less and less folks when I go shooting. Why.....no ammo or conserving ammo. Who know how long this craziness will last. With me it is primers.
    I can find powder and bullets but primers are nowhere to be found.
    Last edited by luigi; 03-12-2021 at 11:52 AM.

not near as much shooting going on here either.

now its mainly rimfire comps at the Elks club/range on saturday's.... most other people are only shooting other stuff if its new & they are getting the hang of it.

most of my shooting right now is for test firing & such.

stuff ive got plenty of to burn is either large caliber or TOK. LMAO & i just dont want to clean up after it right now.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Some of the areas I do canoeing would be a very noisy on Saturday afternoons. You would hear rapid fire automatic pistol fire. Also what sounded like both 223 and 7.62x39 rapid fire. Now I donít hear them, although when I shoot the Nagant revolver on these many river islands I wonder if other people can now hear me. When before the noise would have been slight and no one would notice.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

INTERESTINGLY enough, living here in the urban cessmaze, I note that gang bangaz & thuggaz seem to have NO problem acquiring ammo, and wreaking havoc with it!

Crunching the data: Homicides, shootings on the rise in Pittsburgh

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Veteran
    We rescue Pitbulls and I take them to the desert to run so I frequent the trigger trash piles and pick up brass. Funny, back during Sandy Hook when .22 was short, all people shot was .22!?? Now? I'll still find brass but only like a mag or two worth. City slickers drive all the way out to the desert to shoot 10, 15 rds then go home. Lots and lots of shotgun hulls though.

[QUOTE=Borderline;380923. Lots and lots of shotgun hulls though.[/QUOTE]

Any 16 Gauge? If so send them to me
    Last edited by Norton; 03-14-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    It has quieted down at the range here as well. Not near as many people. Most shooting 9mm or .22 and some shooting a few rounds out of their hunting rifles. Fine with me, more range time by myself or with friends.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

What happen to my .40 cal - I swear I had some extra, but can't find it? On plus side I found 3 boxes of .22 mag, some more .222 and .45 acp hp. Also finding a bunch more 12 gauge BS and some boxes of 410.
    I noticed some on line dealers are posting they got more ammo in - such as Brownell selling 1,000 lots of .223/5.56 with 10 pmags or other high cap mag. Prices up, but at least it was available couple of days ago.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Yup, looks like stuff is starting to come back in stock at several places.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer