Thread: Springfield addiction

Springfield addiction

Few months back I happened into an old National Ordnance 1903a3 Springfield. For those who don't know, National Ordnance guns are considered to be less safe to shoot than a "low serial number" 1903. I didn't get it to shoot. I was after the parts.
    I had a Smith Corona barreled action drill rifle sitting in the pile O random crap. The National Ordnance a3 had an absolutely minty 6-43 Remington barrel & good bolt & the elusive Smith Corona stock. Did the needed repairs to the receiver & reassembled. Presto, a 03a3 was reborn (I'm one of those odd people who have headspace gauges and an arsenal bolt gauge on hand).

Then the bug bit me. I got the wild hair to have an example of every maker of 1903 / 1903a3 rifle. So the hunt began, & damn it if they ain't anywhere near as cheap as they were 20 years ago. Enter the drill rifles again. I found a feller with a high number Springfield 03 receiver and an early war Remington 03 receiver. I've since been able to gather all the parts & stock to put one of those back together. Minus a barrel & rear sight base. Thinking about building the other in 7.62x51mm. But thats on down the road.

Next I ended up trading off a Israeli k98 7.62 conversion for a super clean 1918 production Rock Island 1903 with a 1918 dated Springfield barrel. Shoots phenomenal.

I've since had the National Ordnance 1903a3 receiver hardness tested & it turns out to be a good one. So now I'm gathering parts to build it up as an 1903a4. Got the bolt so far.

So that will leave a Remington 1903a3 & 1903 mk1. Then maybe a USMC 1903a5 Sniper.

I know some people are against reactivation of drill rifles, but I ain't one of them. The tiny little spot weld between the barrel & receiver isn't going to affect the heat treat of the lugs. Not enough heat & to far away. I've got thousands of rounds through reweld Kalashnikov's that saw a lot more heat when being torch cut & my subsequent reweld.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Veteran
    They are beautiful and addictive for sure. I really like that one in the first pic. Very nice!

I only have one right now, my 1903A3 SC. It has all SC parts on it including the stock. I plan on getting a WW1 1903 some day to go with it. Thanks for posting this. Gonna go get mine out of the safe now and rub on it. Lol

SC03a3-1.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 04-03-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

You should get rid of that noisy sling & get a Kerr sling. They just look right at home on an 03a3. As functional as the 1907 sling, without the extra bulk.

I like the sights on the 03 more than the 03a3. My 03 Rock Island is almost as accurate as my M38 Swede. The 03a3 is a good shooter too though.

Gonna have to get a Krag Jorgensen here soon. My wife's got a nice trapdoor Springfield on layaway.

Senior Veteran
    I like the style of sling that's on it now. I have them on most of my U.S. Military guns.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Thanks for the pictures. Your 1903A3 is very nice.

The 1903A3 is my favorite US bolt action military rifle.
    I bought one last month, from an estate sale.
    Didn't need it, but it looked very good. So, I bought it.
    Over the years i have picked up 3 or 4 of them. Some day I will try to find them and post some pictures.
    I think all of mine are Remington's.

Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 04-04-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    31B

It's a toss up as to my favorite flavor of Mauser rifle. Either a Springfield or a Swede. I'm a fiend of the of 6.5 calibers. Got almost no use for the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgunguy View Post
    It's a toss up as to my favorite flavor of Mauser rifle. Either a Springfield or a Swede. I'm a fiend of the of 6.5 calibers. Got almost no use for the new ones.
    I had several of the 96 when I started down sizing. they were all in excellent condition.

Picture of my last 2. now down to 1, not sure which one in the picture.

Never shot any of them.
    Ron

I found 2 more pictures:

Remington 1917, this is the last one I bought. All matching.

The other one is one my Dad got in 1959,( Remington 1903A3) it was new when he got it. he paid $10 for it.
    He bought a blank stock and carved it to fit. He and I worked on it ( after he got off work) in the garage for several weeks.
    It has only been shot about 10 rounds. I fire one round and shot a deer. one of my nephews shot 1 round and shot a deer. the other rounds were shot to site it in.
    I am going to keep it the way it it. ( I have it now). It will be passed on to my son. (along with the story).

I have a few more in one of the safes.
    Several Enfield rifled are in there also. Most of them are Savage rifles.
    Last edited by Planning; 04-06-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    31B

That M1917 Eddystone is simply gorgeous.