Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .004 bolt gap

.004 bolt gap

I had the Cetme apart and decided to check bolt gap again. I came up with .004 Figuring I needed new rollers I looked up how to determine what roller size I needed. +6 seemed to be it. Then I read that oversize rollers might not fit into the bolt head. My unmarked rollers are .315". the roller opening is .318". +6 will not fit. Nothing looks really worn, but these parts are all I've ever seen. The cocking tube gap seems ok, per the checking instructions. The last time I shot it was 8+ years ago. It has always been a soft shooter. Where should I go from Here?

DSCN2729.JPGDSCN2727 (2).jpg
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Edge where locking lever rests on
    DSCN2734.jpg

DSCN2740.JPGDSCN2741.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Simple answer is if it works ok than don't worry about it. Bolt gap is not always a good indicator of function especially on the spanish guns. With an actual HK built piece it is much more indicative of proper specification but on the spanish stuff....not so much. They did not maintain the precise dimensions on the bolt head, locking pieces or even the carriers so your rifle may function fine despite what most consider incorrect gap or it may be a complete failure with what is considered a proper gap. Don't read too much into the gap measurement. As long as there is a gap and the rifle functions well than don't mess with it. More trouble lies down that road.

Frank

Senior Veteran
    Put +2's in it?
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I'll try +2s. Ordered them from RTG along with a new plate. The pins on mine look pretty bad. If the +2s are a hair wide can the openings be opened a tiny bit with a file?

You won't need to file anything, the only rollers that have trouble fitting are +10.

Dang! I would have ordered +6 if I'd known that. LOL

All the bolt heads are the same, just as the rollers are, so they all fit. +10 rollers are the exception because they are not standard HK/Cetme kit, they are an aftermarket solution that appeared about 10 years ago.

I'll see where the +2's get me. I've found only one place to buy +6 and two are $25 plus shipping. I'll put the 2's in and see how it shoots and where the gap is after a hundred or so rounds. If it still shoots well with easy recoil I'll leave it there. The pins on the roller plate are half moons, so I expect the new one to help things too. I appreciate everyones comments and help.

So I got my parts from RTG. Measured the +2 rollers which showed 8.00mm. Measured the rollers from the rifle at 8.01mm. Measured in different spots, all were the same. The old plate that held the rollers was pretty beat up at the pins so the new one went in. The split pin was a hair too long and I didn't have a split pin punch the right size. The head is ugly now after being beat in. That took care of it being too long though. Reassembled the rifle and checked the gap several times. It settled on .006". I'm leaving it there for now as the rollers are $12 each and I can't use the two I got.
    I did not switch over to the metric setting when I first measured my rollers for my first post and did not understand how fine the + measurements were. Knowing what (little) I do now, If I buy new rollers they will be +8. But since the rifle won't get shot much I think I'll be OK with the setting I have.

biffj/Frank, thank you for your advice. I'll keep it in mind if I get a wild hair again.
    Last edited by nevada; 04-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.