Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brugger & Thomet Short Version Mount Works on Cast Stainless Receiver CETME

Veteran

Brugger & Thomet Short Version Mount Works on Cast Stainless Receiver CETME

I've owned a Century CETME for maybe 40 years or so - it's been a long time, anyway. I was unable to ever get it zeroed because the front sight appears to be installed at a slight cant. I had almost nothing invested in this rifle - actually won it on a $20.00 raffle ticket! So it pretty much gravitated to be back row in my safe, where it has languished for many years. I was rearranging the safe a few weeks ago, and started looking at this rifle. Other than the iron sight issue it really looks to be a rifle with possibilities. The bolt gap (non-ground on by the drunk monkeys, luckily) measured at a tight .010" - too small - so I ordered and installed a set of +4 rollers, which gave me a gap of .014". That's better! So I decided that I would show it a little love.

I happened to have a UTG 3-14 power 30mm Mil-Dot scope that I formerly had installed on a 20" AR15. But it looked pretty goofy. Kinda like the AR was being sexually assaulted by a bazooka. It did provide the means of learning the Mil-Dot system, but this was just way too much glass for a wimpy AR15. So I switched back to a 2 moa Primary Arms red dot tube. The Mil-Dot scope needed a home.

I looked all over for something that would work with a cast-stainless CETME, and really couldn't find anything that looked like a done deal, other than a Brugger & Thomet mount for a G3. I figured that, despite the price ($125.00) I would take a risk and try to fit it.

Look at it this way: If it didn't work, I only had $150.00 sunk in this rifle, and as a last ditch measure I would just bite the bullet and buy a length of Picatinney rail and have it welded on to the stupid thing.

Well, the B&T mount showed up today, and it fit like a glove! It clamped right on to the claw-mount lumps on the CETME, and it even had a slot milled in the underside that fit right over the dreaded recoil lugs right in front of the rear sight.

Here's what it looks like:

Notice, however, that the Picatinney rail on the mount is just barely long enough. B&T does make a mount with longer rails, but it wasn't in stock last week at HK Parts when I started this project. I was able to scoot the scope rings together pretty much as far as the turret housing would allow, and it's fine as it, but if anybody else decides to go this route they may want to try to find the longer version.

The only real downside is that the rear objective bell just barely clears the CETME rear sight, and only then when it's rotated to the '1' position. There's not even enough clearance to rotate the "paddlewheel". If i were to decide to de-cant the front sight I would probably have to buy a set of taller see-thru rings. But right now the front objective bell blocks the view of the front sight anyway.

Now to make a "sniper" cheekpiece riser and take the old girl on a range date!
    Last edited by tpelle; 04-05-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    Now to make a "sniper" cheekpiece riser and take the old girl on a range date!
    Veddy nice. Cherokee Accessories makes a great cheek riser for our rifles, at a good price, too. It's what I use on my PTR91.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Looks like it fits well, and you have one that accepts G3 mags, very nice.
    I love you guys...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    Veddy nice. Cherokee Accessories makes a great cheek riser for our rifles, at a good price, too. It's what I use on my PTR91.
    Thanks, but I'm gonna roll my own. I already have all of the stuff I need. See https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/m...le-cheek-rest/ I gather that this is what Army designated marksmen and snipers do to fit a new rifle to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    Thanks, but I'm gonna roll my own. I already have all of the stuff I need. See https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/m...le-cheek-rest/ I gather that this is what Army designated marksmen and snipers do to fit a new rifle to themselves.
    You da' MAN!

Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

yeah I wholly concur ,

unfortunately they're out of business...........only way to find one is on the secondary market.

back 20 years ago I found that the BT low profile mount is the only mount that was out there that fitted on the SS receivers. the claw mounts you had to hack on the legs to make it fit, and I wasn't about to spend 300 bucks for a mount just to hack on it

I love the low profile mount, you can install it using LOCTITE on the screws and never need to take it off ever again....mine is still on the gun after 20+years
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 04-05-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulardi View Post

unfortunately they're out of business...........only way to find one is on the secondary market.
    Well THAT sucks.

First, Williams Trigger Specialties - now Cherokee. It's like a giant conspiracy against G3/CETME style owners!

What scope are you running on yours? Rubber eye cup looks like old Soviet, or NVS!

it's a IOR-VALDADA 4X24 M1 scope, with SVD reticle on steel heavy duty IOR high mount rings, bought it shortly after I bought the rifle. they offered it in a green finish, but those always were sold out, I thought it would look good with the green stock set
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 04-06-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Veteran
    Well THAT sucks.

First, Williams Trigger Specialties - now Cherokee. It's like a giant conspiracy against G3/CETME style owners!

What scope are you running on yours? Rubber eye cup looks like old Soviet, or NVS!
    Yes, I thought that about the scope too. I really like the PSO-1 scopes with that reticle with the height-measuring scale for range estimation and hold-over chevrons etched into the crosshairs. About the only thing that compares, and possibly exceeds it, is that ACSS reticle that Primary Arms developed and the Army is now adopting. That thing is really cool. I actually had a fixed-magnification 3.5x Primary Arms ACSS scope on order that I was going to put on my AR-15 DMR clone, but while I was waiting for it to come back in stock I received a notice that they discontinued that particular scope!

I guess that the gravy days of the inexpensive (hence popular) CETME rifle availability is over. No more cheap parts kits coming in, and it would probable be too much of an uphill battle with a 100% American rifle to compete against the AR platform - specifically against the AR10. Just think how simple it would be to make versions of the AR10 in 7.62 NATO, 6.5 Creedmore, .338 Lapua Magnum, etc. Just swap the uppers!

Getting kind off topic here, but you know that the Army would really like to have a new rifle, but Congress will never give them the money as long as the new rifle will still be chambered in 5.56 NATO. So in order to get a new rifle, the Army first has to convince Congress that they really need a new cartridge. Now remember that the trend, reaches all the way back to the end of WWI with the small-caliber high-velocity program. Came one signature away from giving us a 10-round capacity M1 in .276 Pederson versus the 8-round capacity .30-06 M1 that we all know and love. But the simple truth is that statistically nobody was ever wounded or killed by a directly-aimed battle rifle cartridge beyond maybe 250 or 300 yards. The soldiers were just not able to make the shots with the iron sights of the day, and this situation continued on until very recently with the universal adoption of modern combat optics. Now we've reached the point where modern optics give Private Snuffy the ability to make aimed shots out to 500 yards and beyond, but the M4 carbine he's packin' doesn't have the ballistics to reach that far. (Yes, I know that they shoot AR-15 platform rifles at 600 yards at Camp Perry, and I have an AR15 sitting in my safe that I competed in those matches with, but the truth is that, much beyond 300 yards the ballistic curve of the 5.56 NATO, even shooting 75 grain Sierra Match Kings loaded long, has the ballistics of chucking a brick off of the roof of a tall building.) So if the Army can make a case for something like the Lapua Magnum for a new service cartridge, giving them the ability to make the shots using the new optics, and to defeat the modern body armor that's reaching the battlefield now, that's the only way they will replace the M16 platform.
    Last edited by tpelle; 04-06-2021 at 09:11 AM.

speaking of cheek risers, over on the HKPRO board someone posted a picture of a cheek riser that they wanted to know about...........the thing looks simple to fabricate, so I'm going to try to make one . I'm always looking for projects to make or create, just for s*its and giggles, since I'm on my second retirement

that can be easily adapted to fit on the CETME, it's just a matter of positioning the pins to line up with the CETME take down pin holes

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/g3-cheek-riser.534422/
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 04-06-2021 at 09:14 AM.