Thread: What Muzzle Device Would Be Correct For A G1?

Veteran

What Muzzle Device Would Be Correct For A G1?

I have an FN FAL rifle that I assembled from an StG58 parts kit many years ago on an Imbel GL receiver. I have accumulated a bunch of kind of generic FAL pieces, and every so often I will "remodel" it into a G1, a "standard" metric FAL, or a Rhodesian tribute rifle with no sling hardware or carry handle or bipod and with a Halbeck Device and a grenade launcher gas plug and ladder sight.

It is currently wearing an FN flash hider and recoil enhancer, but I also have a long spigot grenade launcher cum flashider that, I think, came with the StG58 kit.

For now I've reinstalled the bipod and metal handguards, ditched the grenade launcher gas plug and ladder sight and replaced them with the normal gas plug, and reinstalled the sling hardware. I also figured out that a "mystery" sling that I had in the "Rubbermade Tub of Gun Junk" is actually a German leather G1 sling, so I put that on for good measure.

My question is this: What muzzle device is appropriate for a G1? FN, Austrian spigot, or what?

My Canadian L1A1 parts gun (no two numbers on it matched!!!)had one of these long, honkin' F'H's.

FWIW.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

the FH that goes on a G1 is the quick detach type.....

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...-quick-detach/
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Veteran
    So what does the quick-detach flash hider actually latch on to?

In the link to Arizona Response Systems, the one I have on the rifle now is the "Combo" device on the bottom right of that page. (The way the exhaust holes angle forward is why I called in in my original post a "recoil enhancer".) I also have the long StG58 version as well. I'm thinking about swapping that one on.

Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    So what does the quick-detach flash hider actually latch on to?

there is a "stud" on the G1 barrel that FH goes over then you twist it and it locks in place, so in order to attach that you have to have a G1 barrel

the picture on the far right is the "stud" that it goes over

https://www.apexgunparts.com/belgian...ripped-gd.html

here is what it would look like with the FH attached to it

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/6224691
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 06-04-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Veteran
    Ahh, yes. A lot of this FAL lore is coming back to me now. For a lot of years my Stg58 has lived in the back of my safe while I fooled around with the AR15 platform, shooting High-Power rifle competition with one and, more lately, fooling around with optics for them. Then I got into handguns, etc. I discovered that my son had stocked up on .308 ammo, and as he has pretty much lost interest in going to the range, he has told me I can dip into it as much as I like.

Veteran