Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have I got here ?

Veteran

What have I got here ?

I was just given this Night Scope, I believe it is Viet Nam era , but scopes are out of my wheel house.

Has the case, with a tag (3rd photo ) that it stored in and a mount , I was told for an M16 ?
    It seems in good cond. Optic's are clear and no fogging .
    Looks like it would take a single D cell battery ? ( its clean with no corrosion )
    There is a tag with rebuild date @ S.A.A.D indicated 8 5 47 , could it be that old ( second photo )

What have I got, what is or was S.A.A.D. ? and what would be a ball park value ? ( saw one sold on GB $400 ??? )

20210922_114821.jpg 20210922_114851.jpgNight Scope case.jpg20210922_114913.jpg
    Last edited by Major 2; 09-23-2021 at 07:31 AM.

BEWARE!!! could be radioactive

looks to be late Vietnam

use only in the dark without the daytime cap

has had a battery upgrade or else the battery for one is about $300 if i remember correctly...

ive never seen one with a "clear" image
    Last edited by Silvera; 09-23-2021 at 07:53 AM.
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Veteran

that can't be good !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Major 2 View Post

that can't be good !!!!!
    The us marked ones like yours had thorium coated lens to improve clarity.
    From what I've read the israeli version did not.
    Yours has likely been upgraded with a radiation shield in the eye piece.
    Original batteries seem to be unobtainable but there is a adaptor pack that uses 4 AA batteries instead.
    The navy had an ac adaptor that sometimes turn up on ebay, it will need to be updated with a 3 prong plug though.
    As stated above, do not remove the day covers during daylight, it will wreck the intensifier tube in short order.

Veteran
    Well scopes are out of my wheel house. I doubt I'd I'll try to get a battery....
    Last edited by Major 2; 09-30-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Definitely of interest to collectors - certainly Gen.I and not of much REAL use, anymore.

I'd sell to a collector, and re-invest in an PVS14, if you want some decent NVS.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

New Recruit
    Looks like a scope.

Senior Veteran 64bonneville120r's Avatar
    Actually if intensifier is good, and battery converted, they were very useable, they were used still in the early 90's . Not quite like one sees on tv but useable and effective to about 200 mtrs.. they retail Fer about 350-400. With battery conversion to accept i think aa batteries. One of those, a slip on can on a xm177 an let the hog Killin commence!

Quote Originally Posted by 64bonneville120r View Post
    Actually if intensifier is good, and battery converted, they were very useable, they were used still in the early 90's . Not quite like one sees on tv but useable and effective to about 200 mtrs.. they retail Fer about 350-400. With battery conversion to accept i think aa batteries. One of those, a slip on can on a xm177 an let the hog Killin commence!
    Yeah, Guard units had 'em in Desert Storm. Gen 2 was new then. hogs won't shoot back - good use for 'em!
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran 64bonneville120r's Avatar
    But would ya let it go Fer a decent price? Iv already gots an xm177 clone... heheheheh and I'd probably hafta retro a mount Fer on one of my roller lockers.. dammit boy, stop daydreaming. Y? I gotsta have sumfin ta smile bout pop.