Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: Site has spam cancer

  1. #61
    Senior Veteran
    The German's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    213
    In the URL, enter "about:config"
    in the search bar that shows up now, enter "Javascript"
    A line with "javascript.enabled" will show up (among others)
    In that line, on the right hand side, there is an icon with arrows to the left and right ("toggle settings"). Click on that and it will disable Javascript
    Done.
    To change the setting back to enable Javascript, do the same again.

    Unfortunately, Firefox does not have the functionality to block Javascript just for a selected website, for that, you may need to download an extension like "no-script" https://noscript.net/download/releas...ipt-11.4.6.xpi


    Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    Firefox
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

  2. #62
    Senior Veteran jkv45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    In the URL, enter "about:config"
    in the search bar that shows up now, enter "Javascript"
    A line with "javascript.enabled" will show up (among others)
    In that line, on the right hand side, there is an icon with arrows to the left and right ("toggle settings"). Click on that and it will disable Javascript
    Done.
    To change the setting back to enable Javascript, do the same again.

    Unfortunately, Firefox does not have the functionality to block Javascript just for a selected website, for that, you may need to download an extension like "no-script" https://noscript.net/download/releas...ipt-11.4.6.xpi
    The "Enable Javascript" add-on for Firefox works to individually block javascript from running on a single site.

  3. #63
    Senior Veteran ptrthgr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sovereign State of North Dakota
    Posts
    726
    Rep Power
    301
    First time in months I've been actually been able to login due this malware issue - anytime I click anywhere these popups happen and, luckily, get blocked immediately by Trend Micro IS. It's still a problem (Chrome v103.0.5060.134) and, no, I'm not disabling JavaScript for this site. So, it's a known issue at the server level, with only a not-ideal workaround offered to stop the problem. Yet after months and months, the server-side issue persists. It's actually pretty disheartening to learn a resolution has not yet been identified.

  4. #64
    Senior Veteran
    The German's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    213
    The resolution is actually pretty straight forward, but as you said, would require taking action on the server side.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptrthgr8 View Post
    First time in months I've been actually been able to login due this malware issue - anytime I click anywhere these popups happen and, luckily, get blocked immediately by Trend Micro IS. It's still a problem (Chrome v103.0.5060.134) and, no, I'm not disabling JavaScript for this site. So, it's a known issue at the server level, with only a not-ideal workaround offered to stop the problem. Yet after months and months, the server-side issue persists. It's actually pretty disheartening to learn a resolution has not yet been identified.
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

  5. #65
    Senior Veteran
    sdk1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Rep Power
    461
    yep its not a complicated fix.... it just takes someone with server access & permission.

    but really=== you think Java is needed for this site? turning it off for just this site took only seconds & the only difference is that the problem is gone.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

  6. #66
    specops56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    yep its not a complicated fix.... it just takes someone with server access & permission.

    but really=== you think Java is needed for this site? turning it off for just this site took only seconds & the only difference is that the problem is gone.
    But since it's admitted that the actual root of the problem is on the server and that it's, apparently, an easy fix then why hasn't it been fixed?

    Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

  7. #67
    Senior Veteran SgtHorvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    353
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by specops56 View Post
    But since it's admitted that the actual root of the problem is on the server and that it's, apparently, an easy fix then why hasn't it been fixed?

    Terry
    Good question!!

  8. #68
    Senior Veteran
    The German's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    213
    Priorities in life, I assume...

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtHorvak View Post
    Good question!!
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

  9. #69
    Senior Veteran SgtHorvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    353
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Priorities in life, I assume...
    We all gotta have 'em!!!

  10. #70
    Senior Veteran
    sdk1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Rep Power
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Priorities in life, I assume...
    Exactly. its this & it is what it is.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 01:28 AM
  2. militrayfirearm is Spam?
    By jfowl31 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
  3. Spam?
    By HKfreak in forum News & Annoucements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 01:05 AM
  4. spam
    By Planning in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •