Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A random Rant

A random Rant

Just wanted to vent, and well everybody here usually seems to have alot of life experience so I figured why not to you guys

You know, I've always had a problem with trusting people just a little too much. Not just anybody really but good friends. I'm the type that'll do anything for a friend also. I recently(Aug 10th) moved from my apartment, back home to help the folks. Dad's in rough shape, and can't work. Workman's comp can only help so much, and insurance on the man is a beast, needless to say the folks ran the risk of losing everything they had. I'm only 24, my parents are both in their 50's, so I'll be damned if I was gonna let them loose what they worked all their lives for. I told my roommate I was moving home to help the folks, as I could pay their house payment and most of dad's insurance if I didn't have rent. We had a friend(Rick) that was going to take over my lease, who is a great guy, so my roommate would lose nothing more than my big screen in the deal.

I gave him a pretty sweet deal, I'd leave the apartment networked, leave him a computer, mini-fridge full of beer, some dvds, all the kitchen stuff, surround sound and a few other things I really didn't need. He'd been a good friend for the past few years, so I wanted to help him where I could. Well 3 weeks after I moved out I talked to Rick and he said my roommate was gonna move out on his own, so Rick needed to find another place to live. Ok thats cool, I mean it took 3 weeks to tell Rick, who'd been packing but ok...

It's now September, rent, utilities and such are due. The old roommate calls and says he can't pay everything alone. Being a nice guy... I helped him, I took the electric bill and half the rent as I still had one or two items there. For having to do this though , I took back some of my networking stuff and the surround sound. Well here it is October 22nd and I get a call from the cable company today... The bill hasn't been paid and they are cutting it off today... Guess who's name its still in... Yea I didn't change it since he was moving, I figured eh one month and we'll cut it off. Lights are in my name too... and yea they are late too. Something to the tune of about 300 bucks combined.

This really really pisses me off I just wanna :

When this kids car broke down I let him use mine for almost a year while he and his dad were "fixing" it. I let him slide when he didn't have quite enough to pay bills, I got beer and brats for him and everybody each weekend for the game, or paid for each UFC pay per view. You'd think he'd have the common freakin courtesy to pay bills just once while he took an extra month to move..

If it hadn't been dark when I got home from work tonight I would have taken the cetme, ak, and mossberg out to blow off some steam, or if I didn't have the huge gash in my left hand I would have made the punching bag pay for him being slack.. But its dark, and I gotta cut on my left hand so yea I decided to make you guys bored with this story.

Kudos to you!

Recognizing the problems and assisting your parents is the finest thing a man can ever do.

That said, it appears that your 'friend' wasn't really a friend at all. The word 'user' comes to mind. Don't let this bad experience destroy your trust in your fellow man. Just be a little more careful next time.......A valuable lesson.

Yeah. It really sucks. Sometimes helping someone dos'nt help them at all, it just enables them, or gives them more time to skate. For me, mant times when I put myself out there, and assume someone will handle something like I would, I'm disapointed.

Sorry that happened to you. Maybe you guys can get past this and still be friends. Whenever leaving a room mate situation NEVER leave your name on anything.

i wish i had some good advise. i am only 29 but i have a good life.

good for you for helping your parents. thats what matters!

some lessons are learned early in life. i had a friend i was in the service with that was married with a kid and needed a car. he needed a co-signer at the bank for it to get a loan. he never made the first payment. guess who got stuck. a sgt friend of mine told me there are usually good reasons why a bank will not loan someone money. i never co-signed a loan again for some one. ( i have loaned people money over the years to help out and almost always got paid back).

when you put your name on the line, then you become responsible for it. hard lesson to learn some times.........

helping you parents is really a very good thing to do. good luck.........
    31B

Glad to see you stepping up for your parents.

It's a shame your friends parents teach him responsability like yours did.

good lesson though, just when you think you can trust somebody is when you REALLY gotta watch em.

Old Jimmy

Yeah, that happens...

I got taken fer about 2K from a roommate...I was just glad to get him the fook out, and I know I'll never see a fraction of the $$$

Xernex, I'm glad you are helping your parents. We all try to do it ourselves and sometimes it just gets to be a little too much. Like Capt. Ron, I found out early that giving is OK but loaning doesn't always work. I have been had by relatives and friends but most people are honest and do the right thing. In many cases I just told them "don't worry about it" when they tried. Just chalk it up to another life experience and keep being who you are.

not true in all cases but.....

one of the best pieces of advice my dad gave me was, "if you want to get rid of someone, loan em money.... itll be a long time before you see em again" now i have several friends that HAVE paid me back, and i'd give em the shirt off my back if they needed it..... but most people will use you.. sad fact, but true.

On a nicer note, Youre one helluva guy for goin back home and helping your parents out.... the world needs more people like you who are willing to do just that.......

Thanks for the compliments guys. The way I was raised there is no way I'd let my parents go through rough times alone. Its actually been kinda nice to connect back with them, and some other people from around home. I'm actually growing to like living in the country again, theres alot more room to shoot...