Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you collect military firearms?

renegade

Thumbs up Why do you collect military firearms?

I will start by out by saying, I collect military style firearms for certain reasons:

1) Interchangable parts.
    2) Availability of ammunition.
    3) Availability of parts.
    4) Reliability.
    5) Durability.
    6) User serviceable.
    7) Militarily accurate.

I am not a purist when it comes to military firearms, if I can improve my equipment to suit me, I will, such as painting something like 'Messenger of Allah' on the stock, or beefing up an inherent weakness in the design, such as rattling parts and such.

I am a purist though on non-military collector's firearms. Which I have a couple. Bottom line is I can service a 1911, AK, M16, M14, M9, MAC10, MAC11.
    These are examples. I cannot user service something with a high maintenance path, such as handguns that require, precision fitting, or repairing rifles with more obscure parts.

The above is not necessarily, the priority of order I look for, nor is it necessarily conclusive.

Because I can.
    Guns & Coffee
    COG#1001

Because, the more kewl stuff I got, the kewler I am.

RandyCOG3

Because I can hold a piece of history in my hands that a man used to defend his country and his life and knowing that this was the best tecno at the different stages in history. It makes me wonder what those people were thinking as they lay in their foxholes hearing the shots and screams and charges as they lay it all on the line with a piece of wood and steel and the very best friends they will ever have in the world trusting each other with their lives.

Old Jimmy

Veteran
    The history.
    The C&R purchase that might be a jewel.
    The surplus ammo to go with.
    The ability to fix and interchange parts.
    A satisfying hobbie b/c everything I have has incresed in value. "probably won't sell em"
    Mostly b/c I can.
    Many other reasons kind of like why people dive for gold I guess.
    Makes for interesting conversation w/ people who care, huh.

Veteran
    When I got started, they were cheap. I could afford a rifle a month, and a handgun every other month. They'd come to my door with a C&R, and I had almost as much fun with the history as I did with the shooting.

Senior Veteran
    The history.

I had been interested in military history since I was little, and by the time I was about 14 I became real interested in 20th century military history in particular. The more I learned about it, the more I became interested in the role of the individual infantrymen, and their rifles. The very first weapon that I wanted, the one that initially got me interested in milsurp collecting, was the M1 Garand.
    For some damn reason I still don't have one...

And of course, once I had my first military rifle (SKS) I took it out to a ranch to shoot it and was blown away by how much fun it was. I've been hooked with the shooting aspect of milsurp collecting ever since. It's not like I've never shot before (shotguns, deer rifles, .22s, revolvers), but it was somehow different to me to be shooting a piece of history. Ad it was so cheap (like 7 cents a round back then). Now I wanted more milsurps in different calibers to shoot.

And then after shooting my rifles I had to take apart and clean them. Once I saw the insides of them, how the functioned, what made them work, I found a whole new aspect of these firearms to appreciate: the engineering of them. Ever since I've loved learning about different locking and operating methods in firearms, and wanted to collect different firearms that worked in different ways. (gas operated, recoil operated, blowback operated, rotating bolt locked, roller locked, tipping bolt locked, revolver, magazine fed, single action, double action, hammer fired, striker fired, there's just so many cool designs!)

So while it started off with history, it's slowly turned into an even deeper appreciation with shooting and design aspects

Awarded by a grateful public!

+5 for Old Jimmy

My dad was in WWII. He lived my history.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Because civilian arms don't mount bayonets

Veteran

mil

Quote Originally Posted by cbear View Post
    Because civilian arms don't mount bayonets
    Now theres a quote to live by, if you cant shootm, stickm
    collecting milsurps is the only way to go, although I am guilty of collecting others also.
    I am all over the place with buying, but the milsurps hold a special place, the history the ingenuity behind the designs and the uses it was put too. Too much to list.