Thread: Anyone have a special recipie

Anyone have a special recipie

hey guys i just started reloading and was wondering if anyone had any good recipies for an AR. i have a 16inch carbine with a 1in9 twist. ive made up a few loads using 55grn FMJ's and V-MAX's over Varget. havent gotten any time to really test and tune though, its kinda cold outside. any input would be great, thanks guys.
    CETME
    AK
    10/22
    REM 700 7mm
    MOSS 835

many more to come...

COG# 1986

Veteran
    60 gn Vmax w/ 26.0 gn Varget- 1" or better groups
    69 gn Nosler custom comp w/ 25.0 gn Varget - 1" groups
    both Win brass WSR primers in 20" Delton free floated upper 1x9.

Veteran
    I know this is an old thread, but an old favorite load in any 223 has ban 25yrs of winchester 748.with any 30 grain up to 55 grain bullets shoots very well, and runs ar's nicely. From my a1 issue to an m4gery, my faux pre 16 long barrel 1-8 stainless match bbl. Even my xm 177 commando rebuild runs great on it as is surprisingly accurate.

This is why I like 1: 8 / 1: 7 twist bbls. Gotta keep that bullet at 62gr. or smaller with a 1: 9.

No SHORTAGE of bullet types in that range, but throwing those bigger 69/75/77gr. offerings in my HD rifles, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling all over.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    This is why I like 1: 8 / 1: 7 twist bbls. Gotta keep that bullet at 62gr. or smaller with a 1: 9.
    Not necessarily. Theres nothing chiseled in stone that says a 9 twist 223 absolutely will not stabilize anything heavier than 62gr.
    Bullet weight has nothing to do with stabilization to begin with. It all depends on bullet LENGTH, construction, velocity, temprature, elevation and the EXACT twist rate. Some rifling methods are not precise, they may produce a twist rate bit faster or slower than, for example, a 1 in 9. It could be as fast as 1:8.8 or as slow as 1:9.2.
    Cant remember ever hearing of a 9 twist that wouldnt stabilize 68/69/70gr, even 73gr.
    At the moment I have two 9 twisters that will stabilize 75/77gr Hornady/Nosler/Sierra BTHP's just fine.
    One will shoot 5 shot moa groups at 100yds with 80gr Nosler CC's, but makes buckshot patterns and shows a tendency to keyhole with 80gr JLK's
    Last edited by Has Been; 06-27-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Who made your barrel (factory, or custom)? Sounds like you have a nice one!

I've heard of folks getting some accuracy out of a 1: 9, but all things being equal from production line bbls, 1: 8 and 1: 7 twist will give better performance with bigger bullets, more consistently.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    Who made your barrel (factory, or custom)? Sounds like you have a nice one!

I've heard of folks getting some accuracy out of a 1: 9, but all things being equal from production line bbls, 1: 8 and 1: 7 twist will give better performance with bigger bullets, more consistently.
    Both are factory.
    One is a 26" Savage 12FV and it's the one that shoots the 80gr CC's, the other is a 16" chrome lined Bushmaster M4 profile. Heaviest I've tried in it are 75gr Hornady BTHP.
    I agree that a 7 or 8 twist will be more consistent with heavies over 70gr.
    My point is a 9 twist 223 is on the ragged edge of stabilization with 70gr and over but dont assume it's not up to the task with out trying it. It either will or it wont, there is no middle ground and 10 rounds at 100 yds will tell the tale.