Thread: Last Range Visit '07

Last Range Visit '07

Having dropped off the wife at work, and being free for the day, I scooted out to the range today.
    First up was the pistol range. Here, I usually just shoot at the swinging steel plates my club has at about 40 yards. A 10 inch plate, and a chicken plate.
    I brought the Browning HiPower, the CZ82, and the Walther P1. All three worked faultlessly, and I had a blast hitting the plates. Even the CZ82 did okay at that distance--I didn't connect every shot, but I was hitting close enough to confirm that this pistol is dangerous at 40 yards. The Walther P1 is always an attention getter at the range, and very satisfying to shoot. Very accurate, light, and reliable, they are a great deal you will regret missing if you don't get one before they are gone. The Browning? Still my first choice for HD, and it shoots great. Hitting the plates was easy, and it worked perfectly with 13, 15, and 20-round mags. It just feels right in my hand, points well, and I like the trigger.
    Then, it was over to the rifle range, which I had all to myself. I brought my shorty CAR--home made with a doublestar lower, and a post-ban Bushmaster 16-inch HBAR upper. I slow fired a few groups to confirm the zero on my Hakko 4 power AR scope, then started in on some rapid fire, mainly just picking out dirt clods, leaves and pieces of bark on the berm. What a BLAST!. The CAR ran perfectly. I shot about 60 rounds of PRVI 55gn and 62gn each, 20 rounds of PRVI 75gn, and 40 rounds of Federal 50gn JHP. I finished up with 60 rounds of Wolf that I discovered in the bottom of my footlocker, ammo I didn't even know I had. I have full faith in the reliablility of this AR, and 100 yard accuracy is terrific. Plus, I am really sold on the 9mm buffer I installed. I really cuts down the muzzle jump and kick, makes for a smoother recoil, and drops the empties in a close pile.
    The only change I will make, is to have the muzzle threaded for a flash hider. When looking through the scope, I could see the muzzle flash fill the field of view. Pretty bright! Almost soccer ball size.
    Overall, a great day at the range. Everybody was in holiday cheer, wishing "Happy New Year". When I was leaving, a whole family showed up--Mom (milfy!), Dad, 10-yr old boy, 4 teenagers--what a sight! The 10-yr old was unloading their AR from the trunk, and you could see the excitement on his face.
    Here's wishing you guys a Happy New Year, and lots of range trips in '08, a year I was sure we would be flying jetson style flying cars by!
    "Daddies' rifle in my hand felt reassuring. He told me red means run, son, numbers add up to nothin'. When the first shot hit the dock, I saw it comin'--raised my rifle to my eye, never stopped to wonder why--then I saw black, and my face flashed in the sky..."
    Powderfinger, Neil Young

Administrator
    Sounds like fun!
    Happy New Year to you.
    1+ on the jetson cars,where the heck are they?
    " Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire. "

HANG IN THERE
    WE'LL BE BACK!

i'd smile if i had an AR too....

Gun Cleaning Products for the Discriminating Shooter - www.deweyrods.com

A good day I guess.

It has to be said

Where are da pics?

As for pics, I realized I left the camera behind about halfway to the range---
    So, I took this pic of the weapons fired.
    This range trip was good for another reason...lately, I had considered buying a used Beretta 92F from CDNN--they have them for $349, very good, excellent. A day at the range with these three handguns had me saying "why bother..."
    I am still considering one of three handguns--Ruger SP101 DAO 38 special made for the Department of State, Romanian Tokarev, or used S&W Model 36.
    Deciscions, deciscions.
    "Daddies' rifle in my hand felt reassuring. He told me red means run, son, numbers add up to nothin'. When the first shot hit the dock, I saw it comin'--raised my rifle to my eye, never stopped to wonder why--then I saw black, and my face flashed in the sky..."
    Powderfinger, Neil Young